Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Today I get to have my cake -- and eat it too!

Happy Birthday to me!

(And to my favorite city....1630 - The city of Boston, Massachusetts is founded. )


I remember growing up, getting excited for my parent's birthdays and wanting to surprise them - and hearing them say, "well, it's just another day..." Just last week when I called my cousin to wish her a happy birthday - she said the very same thing. And my reaction was "It's not just another day". It shouldn't be!


The day that you were born doesn't have to be a quasi-national holiday, complete with a week's worth of ongoing festivities. (Don't laugh, I know people who feel that their birthdays should be celebrated as such...!) But I do believe that even if nothing else -- taking a minute to indulge in something small for yourself makes the day special. There are 364 other days in the year to be mundane; the anniversary of our births is something to celebrate and rejoice - and no matter what, it should never be "just another day".


So how is this girl celebrating?

Well, first of all - it's gorgeous outside - so that's a wonderful way to start the day. My daughter climbed into my bed at 6am and without her eyes even open yet she whispered "Happy Birthday Mommy". Tell me that isn't a gift?



I found a card on my desk from a co-worker - a very cute, girly card. My two girlfriends in the office took me out for a sushi lunch - and the three of us had a lot of laughs that I think we all sorely needed. Morale in the office...not so great. That's okay, we build our own morale! They each got me a very thoughtful gift -- one gave me a gift certificate to Burlington Coat Factory, and the other gave me a beautiful salad bowl set that's painted in a whimsical rose pattern. Love them both. And what's even better - is that truly, the gifts weren't even necessary. Just laughing at lunch - that is gift enough. Truly.


Tonight, after my son's open house at school -- I will have dinner with my family, though I haven't decided where to go. Since I just ate a larger than usual lunch, I just don't know how hungry I'll be.


And when it's all said and done -- today will have been a special day.

The best part of all - is that I don't need to have a birthday to feel liked/loved/appreciated. I'm really fortunate to have a good circle of friends and a beautiful family, and that is all the proof this girl needs.

(Okay, truthfully - a win from the Sox would be nice. And what this girl wouldn't give for a birthday wish from # 33. Sigh....)

7 comments:

Suldog said...

Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Dear Rebecca, I Sing To You!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday To You!!!

(And then, Jason Varitek pops out of the cake! Ta-Da!)

ramblin' girl said...

Hope the rest of your birthday is wonderful!
Happy Birthday!

Esperanza said...

Happy Birthday!

chesneygirl said...

I am not one of those people that thinks it's "just another day"!

I still believe it is the best day of the year! :) And I am one of those people that celebrates for a week. *blushing*

Happy Birthday, Rebecca!!!
I hope you have fabulous day and ALL (*wink*) your wishes come true!

Nichole M said...

Sorry that the Sox couldn't deliver a win for you today. Hope you had a great birthday!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Oh man! I'm late. Happy belated birthday!

Rebecca said...

Hey All,
THANK YOU for the birthday wishes! :)

I had a really nice day. :)

No win from the Sox, but eh - what can you do.