Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sing....sing a song!

Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It was always on in my house, and as I've mentioned before - Sundays was always the day we all spent together as a family, and my Dad would play his 45's. My dad had is own electronic repair business, and so I was probably the only 4 year old that had a stereo in her room! I had to be extra careful so as not to scratch the record with the needle. (I know, totally dating myself on this one. It's only the beginning in this post, I assure you!)

As a little kid, in an effort to get me to "be good" when getting shots at the pediatrician's office - my mom would bribe me with going to get some 45's afterwards. Back then you could get 3 for one dollar - sometimes 4 if they were having a special sale. (Yes, and dinosaurs roamed the streets in those days too!) In high school, music was my best friend. I would spend hours listening to my favorite songs, and stopping the tapes to write the lyrics down so I could memorize them. My social life was minimal (I had strict parents) but they were great about letting me go to concerts, so my main source of excitement was waiting on the tour announcements, watching the new videos to debut on MTV and for cd's to be released.

It was music and sports - and that was what I lived for.

Some things never change...


1. What was your first favorite song? I think my very first was "Very Merry Unbirthday" from my Alice in Wonderland album. "Lollipops, Lace &Lipstick" from my mother's Donny Osmond album is another early recollection. But I think my first main stream, radio station song was "Emotion" by Samantha Sang. (Check out that gem of a video...how's that peach lip gloss? Oh yeah baby...smokin'.)

2. Who was your first favorite female singer? Now this is a tough one. Female singer I'm guessing is going to constitute having been more than one song. I'd say a toss up between Barbara Streisand (who's mom didn't listen to her?) and Yvonne Elliman.

3. Who was your first favorite male singer? I do believe it was Billy Joel. It might've even been Gordon Lightfoot, courtesy of my father.

4. Who was your first favorite band? The Monkees. I was obsessed. I had all of their albums, 45s, and I loved all their lesser known songs. Hello, who loved "Auntie Grizelda"? I did! And, no surprise here -- I had a crush on Davey Jones. For mainstream music, I think it may have been Asia. I liked a ton of solo artists, and I liked alot of bands that I had been exposed to by other people, but I think the first band I discovered and became my first favorite, was Asia - and it started with this song.

5. Who is your all time favorite band? This is really too difficult to answer. I'm so music oriented, it would depend on genre and then even possibly era. Some of my all time favorites are Aerosmith, Queen, Metallica, Steve Miller, The Eagles...the list goes on and on.

6. Who is your all time favorite male singer? Again, music's my thing - and so I don't think I have just one. I love, love, love Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban if we're talking strictly singing. To me, Josh Groban must be what an angel must sound like.

7. Who is your all time favorite female singer? Again, such a broad canvas to paint! I guess I'd have to say my girl Christina Aguilera, though not a classic choice - is probably my answer. My second choice would probably be Whitney Houston -- pre "Crack is Whack", natch. That clip is one you should watch -- the best version of our national anthem -- ever. I actually get all choked up watching it, truth be told.

8. What is your all time favorite LP/CD album? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a three way tie between "Led Zeppelin IV", Metallica's "Master of Puppets" (Tough call, all their pre-Black stuff is amazing), Christina Aguilera's "Stripped". I have lots of "favorites of the moment", but those are timeless to me.

9. What was your first favorite radio station? WCOZ. Back in those days, you either listened to KISS 108, or WCOZ. Disco v. Rock. Don't get me wrong, I liked Disco too - but truly, I was a rock and roll kinda girl. And then shortly there after, I discovered Charles Laquidera and WAAF, of course.

3 comments:

Nichole M said...

1. I'm sure it's not the real first favorite song, but it's the first one I remember: the song the nasty siamese cats sang in Lady and the Tramp. "We are Siamese if you please..."

2. Cyndi Lauper. Oh yeah. 80's all the way.

3. It's a toss up between John Denver, Christopher Cross, and Kenny Rodgers.

4. This one is tough. The Bangles maybe? Bananarama?

5. No way could I just pick one favorite band of all time. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Beatles, Rush, Sublime... the list goes on.

6. Bing Crosby, early Frank Sinatra (when he got all old and gross, no thanks), and (snicker) Justin Timberlake.

7. I agree with you on Christina. The girl's got a set of pipes! My runner up would be Amy Lee of Evanescence.

8. Yes, YES! Master of Puppets! One of the best albums of all time.

9. I'm ashamed to say that I really can't remember!

Susan said...

I took your advice on Jason Mranz..LOVE IT! Lunch soon? Yes!

Suldog said...

You might like to check out my post today, and take a crack at it yourself.

(You may not agree with it all, but I have a feeling you'll agree with a whole bunch.)

And... Yvonne Elliman? Excellent taste!