Monday, September 22, 2008

We interrupt today's previously scheduled post to bring you this late breaking news....

I gave my notice today.
Because I accepted the offer for another job that had been presented to me.

I did not expect the reaction I received when I informed the office.
People come and go from jobs -- and though I've been in this office for several years, and knew that some of my co-workers would be surprised/disappointed -- I didn't expect the management to react quite as strongly as they did.

It was flattering, and while I wasn't surprised by the kind words - I was surprised at the level of interest in doing whatever possible to get me to stay.

And now -- there is potentially a counter offer in the works.

It isn't about the money. And I made that clear this morning. My exact words were "there isn't enough money in the world that could convince me to stay employed with the employer I'm presently with." Money can't buy me peace of mind.

But a different company, could offer me piece of mind - and potentially a change of heart.

But this possibility now presents me with an ethics question.
Do I reneg on the offer I accepted? I know people do it all the time, but....should that be the answer?

Or do I accept the change that's coming my way - (though not the change I'd been hoping for, nor the change I'd like to see long term for the future) - and embrace the challenges and excitement that this new job may bring.

Damn it...where is my yoga mat when I need it?

Feel free to share thoughts/comments/opinions.
This girl is feeling....torn at the moment.

Originally scheduled post will appear tomorrow. Same bat time. Same bat channel....


8 comments:

ramblin' girl said...

It is absolutely ok to let the company that made the offer know that your current company countered with a better offer, be that a monetary or job responsibility offer (or whatever). But you have to make the decision about where the right place is for yourself. Good luck!

Suldog said...

I think it depends upon what words you used with the new company. If you told them, "I accept your offer. I am ready to start on the date you told me", then you gave them your word and they are expecting you and have probably called off their search. It would wrong of you to go back and tell them that you have another offer.

If, on the other hand, they offered you a job and a salary, and you told them, "That's a nice offer. Let me talk to my current employer", then they know that the possibility exists for you to present a counter.

Strictly my opinion, of course.

Another way to look at it. If Jason Varitek verbally accepted a two year contract from the Sox, but then was offered a three year deal from the Blue Jays, what would Jason do? :-)

Rebecca said...

Ooh Suldog, throwing Jason into the mix.... very interesting analogy. You know my heart would be broken if he did that.

What would Jason do.... Jason is a stand up guy in my mind; and he would honor a verbal agreement with the Sox. He would honor any agreement he made, with anyone. Period. (Yes, he is perfect in my fantasy world.)

And of course, I signed the offer... prior to giving my notice. Because of the legalities involved - I did not think there could ever be a counteroffer.

There are all sorts of rules about contractors going from company to company. However, it seems deals can be made if the right people want them done.

Now, people in the office here have said that people always reneg on offers if a counter happens to come in. And those are strictly money related matters; mine isn't money.

I have no interest in working for my present employer whatsoever. In this surprise counter, I'd be working with a different employer but in the same job; which,due to the rules in place I mentioned above -- I'd have never forseen happening so there would be no counter I'd have been expecting.

It's sort of confusing....

Suldog said...

Ah, a different employer, although the same job? That does cast it in an interesting light. Sort of if Jason were offered a job with the Boston Seagulls of the new United Baseball League :-)

Rebecca said...

Sort of! :)

But think of it this way....
Strictly hypothetical, of course...

The Red Sox Organization has John Henry as the Owner.
And let's say he allows say, Theo Epstein to come in as a subcontractor, and to contract a certain amount of the team on his own. Of course he has to pay up a percentage to the Sox organization, but he can pick and choose a predetermined amount of team players at his own will.

But for some reason, Theo just and Jason have differences, for whatever reason. Jason doesn't necesarily want to leave the Red Sox Organization as a whole -- but just doesn't want to work for Theo any more because he's not being treated fairly - again, for whatever reason.

So John Henry says, "you know what Tek, you can come work for me."

Same Red Sox club. Same position played. But he reports to someone different instead.

OR...

Jason can go to another team entirely; he may have accepted an offer from the Jays because he didn't think John Henry would be able to overstep Theo and make such an offer.

Anonymous said...

Working in the same community, I'm dying to know the details and just remind you that it is a small, incest laced community that we're employed in. We should talk! I'm changing too - due to a re-org, just announced.

Definitely call me.

Suldog said...

Well, I do have to say that I'm most definitely intrigued by this whole thing. I wish you the best of luck, and God's grace, of course.

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

I am really going to miss you at work. I'll never find another crush so deserving! :)

You deserve way better though than the way you've been treated.