Thursday, September 25, 2008

There is nothing better than being Mom...

Yesterday, my son had a book fair at his school. Off he went, with a check for $15.00 so that he could pick out a few books for himself. He loves reading, and he reads at a level far above his peers, so to indulge in books is something he really enjoys.

When I came home, he couldn't barely wait for me to even come through the door. He wanted to show me the book he bought - it's called "Heroes" and it's a step by step instructional guide on how to draw action figures and superheroes. And then he hands me a book, and says "This one's for you!". I looked at him and said "You bought ME a book? I thought you were going to pick out a few books for yourself?" and he said, "I picked one, but I really wanted to get you one and I saw this and thought it was perfect. See, it says "everything happens for a reason". (One of my more notable and most frequently used cliches..)

He said even though it's for ages up to 11, he thought that it's still good for grownups "in their thirties". He even read the first two chapters to be sure I'd like it. So, I made a deal that we would both read it and then talk about it afterwards. Sort of like our own little book club!
The White Giraffe is our first book - and who knows, this might be the beginning of a fun way for him and I to "hang out" together and talk about something other than just the typical things that a Mom & son talk about. (You know... school, sports, videogames, not bothering his little sister....)

It's these little gifts in life that make everything else pale in comparison, and any troubles small and superficial. There is nothing greater than the love of a child, and I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world....


(Which makes me hate Casey Anthony that much more.)

4 comments:

Esperanza said...

R, I think that is an awesome idea. There is another blogger who has something similiar going on with her son.

http://age30books.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Suldog said...

That is just super awesome and cool! Good, good kid.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Hi Rebecca - thanks for dropping in at my blog! I hope you checked out the Mom & Son Book Club posts that I do. (If not, you can click on MOTHER/SON BOOK CLUB in my right side bar - that will bring them all up.) Kiddo and I have had so much fun reading together. He loves that I post his thoughts on my blog. I hope you and your son enjoy it as much as we have!

Susan said...

Awesome!