Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vampires often turn on those who trust them, you know. We don't have human values like you...




So, in my never ending quest for finding great television -- I started watching "True Blood", an HBO show from the creators of "Six Feet Under". (A show that I was absolutely addicted to, and really sad to have seen end. However, had that not happened, I wouldn't have my buddy Dexter around, now would I?)

It's still in it's infancy stages, and character development is still under way -- but it's definitely got me interested. I've always been a fan of vampires anyway - and have always had a fascination with the supernatural and ways of the Witch. (What girl who grew up in the 80's and saw Stevie Nicks in her pretty, black, flowy dresses didn't want to be a witch as she was rumored to be?) As a little girl, I had a total infatuation with Bela Lugosi's Dracula. He was just so, charming...and handsome. It's not his fault that he was a creature of the night. Then of course, my disdain for gore in film took over and until Brahm Stoker's Dracula (played brilliantly by Gary Oldman) was released, I sort of left vampires behind me. All that blood was too much for me. But after being sucked back in by the tragic thought of "love never dies"... my interest in them piqued once again. The Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles books, and of course the movie "Interview with the Vampire" became part of my collection of favorites. Of course it didn't hurt that Brad Pitt was the hottest vampire...ever.

Vampires, by their very nature are passionate, tragic beings...they're romantic and androgynous to a certain extent, in the respect that there is no gender specification in their passion. So be forwarned, if you dare to watch this show, it's very...mature. And not for the faint of heart.

I don't necessarily love the main character, Sookie Stackhouse. I never read the books that her character comes from, but her portrayal on screen leaves me rather cold. Her flighty and almost forced ingenue demeanor contradicts her apparent spunk. Maybe its the delivery of it all - I'm not sure that I'm loving the casting in her role.

However, her vampire counterpart -- I think is fantastic. He's the classic sterotype of all things vampire: handsome, charming, and of course -- dangerous. It's that little blood drinking thing that always gets in the way.

His not so nice vampire pals, are creepy and insane - but very funny. There's a humor to this show that if you were a "Six Feet Under" fan, you'd entirely appreciate.
It's something that you can sink your teeth into - and it's definitely got me hooked.

No comments: