So, I got a phone call earlier this week from someone who I was pretty good friends with in high school - and whom I've kept in touch with throughout the years, sometimes through phone calls and business transactions; other times just through Christmas cards. Anyway, I get this call and the bottom line of it is that he wants me to help him plan our reunion this year. Me?!? Aaggh. Truthfully, a few years ago I'd have jumped at that chance - I just don't really have the time to dedicate to it right now. But of course, he had to throw in the "C'mon, you're Ms. Popular and know everyone, you're so good at this...you know you want to..." how could a girl refuse? (Postscript to this story... I gracefully bowed out. I have a crazy, hectic and insanely busy life. I just didn't have the time to help out unfortunately. Though I was flattered for the asking...)
Which got me thinking about high school. So much fun it was - and yet if I could do it all over again, I think I'd do it differently. Same friends and all that, but I'd have definitely challenged myself so much more. I was friends with everyone in high school, I was very "anti-clique" so I was friend with everyone from the metal heads and "burnouts" to the jocks and "popular" groups. I myself, was a metalhead cheerleader which sort of made the bouncing between all the groups pretty easy. Plus the fact that I really just genuinely liked everyone and wanted to be friends with everyone anyway. I intentionally kept my intimate circle of friends small and varied - with my large circle of acquaintances crossing all "social circles",if you will.
I found this fun High School themed survey, and since it is Saturday and all....I present to you, the "I'm Just a Girl's High School Experience in Retrospect". Sort of, anyway!
1. Did you date someone from your school? I didn't date much in high school, I was always "one of the guys". I had lots of unrequited crushes!! I did eventually have a high school sweetheart though, we dated all of senior year and a few years after graduation.
2. Did you win anything in Seniors' Who's Who? Hmm, we didn't have anything like that.
3. What kind of car did you drive? I didn't have my license until I was 22. I DID get into a car accident on my permit at 16 1/2 in my friend Renee's car. It traumatized me clearly since it was many years later that I got my license!
4. It's Friday night...where are you? Pre-Senior year, probably no where but home. Strict parents. Senior year? Maybe the studio for rehearsals? Or Waites' Mount. Maybe Blueberry Hill. But I almost always had to be home for 10.
5. Were you a party animal? No. I didn't drink at all. I went to parties, but didn't drink until after high school - and again, had to be home by 10, 11 if it was like a "special" occasion.
6. Were you considered a flirt? I don't know? If I flirted with someone, it meant I wasn't into them; because I'm really shy around someone I do find attractive. Have always been that way. But I can flirt with the best of 'em if I'm comfortable.
7. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Band in Jr. High School - I played the glauckenspiel. But not high school. I was a cheerleader and in the Drama Club.
8. Were you a nerd? Um, no. Although I'm definitely a geek today! :)
9. Did you get suspended/expelled? hahaha, I lived in detention. I was in detention so much I'd go to school at 5am to cut my hours down. I was the queen of cutting class! But my assistant principal was a doll and knew I was a good kid...just a little bored. Never, ever suspended or expelled. Absolutely not.
10. Can you sing the fight song? We had a fight song?
11. Who were your favorite teachers? My favorite teachers weren't for high school believe it or not. In high school, I'd say Mr. Benotti my Assistant Principal (who passed away, unfortunately) and Ms. Gonsalves, my Media Technology teacher.
12. Where did you sit during lunch? It all depended...no particular "spot".
13. What was your school's full name? Malden High School
14. School mascot? Golden Tornados
15. Homecoming court? I was not in the court, though I had secretly hoped to be.
16. If you could go back and do it again, would you? Absolutely. High school was a great time in my life.
17. What do you remember most about graduation? That it took so long to get to my name...and that it took even longer to get through the rest!
18. Where did you go senior skip day? You know, I don't remember? I know we went somewhere. We started off at Duffy's that much I'm sure of.
19 Have you gained weight since then? About 5 lbs? But I've had two kids so I'm entitled.
20. Who was your Senior prom date? My high school sweetheart. :)
21. Are you planning on going to your reunion? Looks like I've been roped into planning it!
22. Who was your home room teacher? OMG, I can't remember one of them! Not one! How sad is that?!?!
23. Who will repost? I don't know but if you do - let me know!
24. Did you play any sports? Yes, but not organized. I'm more athletic now than I was then...
25. Do you still talk to people from school? Not usually, but I'm thinking I will be shortly!
26. What year did you graduate? 198-something!!! ;)