Tuesday, October 23, 2007

So, I'm no longer a virgin.

Now that's a loaded statement, given the fact that I'm a mother of two.
(She silently smirks…)
Clearly, I haven't been a virgin for some time now.


But I've been deflowered recently -- in the respect of insect bites.

I was stung by a bee for the first time on Saturday.
And let me tell you -- it hurt!!
Truthfully, it's still bothering me today if you can believe it.


Right smack dab on my elbow. And I wasn't bothering him at alll! This is me we're talking about. Yes, I’m the girl that tortured insects as a young child - but that was purely out of my love of science and inherent curiousity. Since then I've gone out of my way to save bugs that cross my path -- even going so far as to save drowning yellow jackets -- because I believe that "what goes around comes around". Clearly, my efforts fell deaf on the humming of this bee's wings. Hmmph.


There I was, at the soccer field minding my own business when the bees started to take an interest in me. Could it have been my Hazelnut/Coconut flavored coffee luring them in? Was it the sweet Hanae Mori perfume that I put on 6 hours earlier driving them crazy? One will never know. But the truth of the matter is that I was innocently standing having a conversation when I felt a slight "sting" and a pulling…I said to my aunt "I think a bee just tried to sting me" and then no sooner did I finish my sentence when there was a very STRONG stinging sensation to which I promptly said out loud "Mother of God he got me! Get him off me!"
(or something to that effect. I do know "mother of god" was used; I tried to curve my sailor's mouth since I was after all - at a 6 year old's soccer game!) and my aunt started saying "He won't come off!" and she I think - the details are rather blurry now -- used a jacket or something to swing him off me. One of the women I was talking to was nice enough to pull the stinger out of me - and then the watch was on to see if I was going to go into anaphalytic shock. This was, after all - my first insect sting.


All kidding aside, I'm surprised at how sore I was. I mean really, a bee sting? I thought they hurt for like an hour and then you're done with it. But I actually was up all night with it. I think maybe because it's smack on my elbow, the pain was radiating down my forearm, into my hand and up my bicep - as well as being a place on my body that is frequently used. I literally could not lay on that side because if I put pressure on that arm, it woke me up. I mean it wasn't mind bending sore, it was just uncomfortable. And right now, it's really fine - just twinges if I put too much pressure on my elbow.


And there you have it. My adventures in bugs…and the taking of my innocence with bee venom.

6 comments:

Martie said...

Not to alarm you, but if your arm bothered you that much you need to be very careful of any future stings! This is stemming from several experiences with children who became allergic to stings as adults.

Hope by this time, it is feeling much better.

Hugs

Elizabeth said...

I am one of those freaks who runs away shrieking from anything that buzzes. Yet I still got stung when I was like 12. And yeah, that crap does hurt like a mutha.

Anonymous said...

martie's right....apparently the more stings you get the worse the effect on your body....

Suldog said...

Fascinating. I'm still a bee sting virgin myself. I've never been stung. And I might be very lucky, considering the only time I ever saw my Mom get stung, her foot (she stepped on one, barefooted) swelled up to the size of a tenpin ball.

By the way, I have a World Series contest going on, so you might like to stop by.

Susan said...

Ouch!

bigwhitehat said...

I'm so sorry. You know, not everybody has a pleasant first time.