Monday, October 15, 2007

Sometimes, the best laid plans....

It was a rather crazy Saturday.

I was supposed to have dance in the morning -- a baby shower at noon -- and then a surprise birthday party at 6. I had the dance, but wasn't able to attend the baby shower due to sitter issues at the last minute; which meant I had to get the gift to the shower. That all worked out well, though I really missed out on seeing all the "aunties" -- most especially the "auntie" who is the soon-to-be "Mommy". The only upside to that, was being able to spend the whole day with my own kids -- which ended up being a really fun time considering it was spur of the moment. We went pumpkin picking with one of my son's best friends, and his Mom and sister, who's only a few months younger than my daughter. So that ended up being a nice afternoon....

However, we had a birthday party to go to - and had to be in Medford by 6. No problem, I figure -- put the kids in the tub at 3:30, give them a half hour to play - get them ready and have myself in the shower by 4:30 to be out the door for 5:30. Well, it wasn't until I had the kids in the tub that I realized the water wasn't getting any warmer. It was ice cold! So, I go to check the pilot on the hot water heater - and sure enough it's out. So, I try relighting it....and it won't light. So I call my plumber in a panic and say "get someone out here now please". It's a new hot water heater! This shouldn't be happening - and I'm not an idiot. I know how to start the heater. So, I call my girlfriend Nancy in a panic -- and ask if i can shower there. The kids, well - they pretended it was a pool, so we kept the bath going. But not only was I not going to take a cold shower - I couldnt' even just wash up. I ran that afternoon, and had sort of planned around my afternoon shower, once I realized I wasn't going to the baby shower. So my plumber gets there - and guess what. He can't light it either. Now, I feel a mix of vindication -- and irritation. It's 4:45, and I can't get into the shower at my girlfriends house until I know what's going on at my own, right?

Finally - he gets it lit. At 5:10. It's a coupling or something like that which was broken and he replaced it. I get the kids in the SUV -- and we're off. I hurredly impose on my girlfriend (who didn't mention she needed to be out the door herself by 6!!) and take over her guest bathroom while she keeps my kiddies happily occupied. I'm in the shower by 5:25 - and we're out her door at 5:55. While we don't make Medford for 6 - we do make it for 6:20 - and the guest of honor didn't arrive until 6:30 -- which means alls well that ends well. And that I clearly owe my girlfriend. HUGE.

But it's amazing how the best laid plans will often all go astray all day it seems.
And clearly, my bad karma for the day made it's way over to Fenway.
Sorry guys....

And for a little Patriots Round up for Monday.... probably the best challenge thus far this season, and if Dallas was more disiciplined - it might've been ever harder. Bring on Indy is what I say!
Bring. It. On.

2 comments:

Susan said...

That football game was good! Damn good!

Suldog said...

Good sports weekend overall. BC wins and goes to #3 in the BCS, Pats remain undefeated, Sox split and head to Cleveland. I think Dice-K throws the one we've been waiting for tonight. I certainly hope so, anyway.