Thursday, October 25, 2007

Just some thoughts about last night...

1. I loved, loved, loved John Williams rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner". I felt like I was listening to a piece of a movie soundtrack. He is a musical genius. I have to say, my favorite soundtrack of all time -- is Jurassic Park. Once that song is in my head, lookout - I'm whistling it all day long.


2. I'm cautiously optomistic about the series. Last night I really almost felt badly for the Rockies - they just looked so mismatched. It really looked like boys playing men. At the same time though, anything can happen…and so I'm really looking forward to tonight to see if last night was just a combination of nerves and fatigue on the part of the Rockies. I happened to hear a blurb on WEEI on my way home last night, and one of the players was interviewed and he sounded a little overwhelmed by all the media attention that was going on. They're clearly not used to playing in a big market like Boston, so the pressure of the media and the scrutiny has got to be tough. I mean, let's be honest -we all know the NL is nothing in comparison to the AL, let alone the Boston market.


3. I'm surprised at how many "Sox haters" there are at the moment. I get that everyone roots for the underdog, but I watched a little ESPN before I left for work this morning and there were a lot of comments for viewers who were really down on the Sox and the Pats alike. That really surprises me -- especially since for I don't know -- 86 years we were the underdog? And it's only been a few years now that the Pats have been on top as well. And I think we're quite gracious and appreciative as fans. Which leads me to the emails from yesterday.


4. The following is my response to the writer from the Tampa Tribune Times from yesterday. After he responded to me, it turns out, he's actually a pretty nice guy with family in this neck of the woods, who are clearly Sox fans -- so this was probably tongue in cheek geared towards his family who more than likely reads his writing. But, he did call out the Nation, so…. Here's the quote he made that prompted me to respond to him via email: "
World Series Game 1 8pm Fox All I have to say is, good luck with those annoying Red Sox fans, Denver. You’ll have to put up with them for at least two games. And go ahead and send your nasty e-mails to the address below, Beantowners you’re only proving my point!"

*******

Hmmmph. Clearly, I responded.


"Hi Josh,
Funny, I don't think we're any more annoying than the towel waving, face painting Indians fans, no?

Truthfully, I tend to think that we're pretty darn nice, considering that we don't torture the Yankees fans who come visit during the series that are played. And all the other team fans - well, we barely notice they're there.

Is Boston a tough market? Sure. Are we hard on the team when they're winning and when they're losing? Do we think that we're all capable of being a better manager than whomever is in charge at the time? Absolutely. But that's part of our charm. And truthfully, I'm not sure that makes us all that different from fans all across the league - and in all sports in general.

It sounds to me like you've got a bad case of sour grapes, considering that no matter what arena you go to nationwide - there are almost as many Red Sox fans attending as there are home team fans. Especially at Tampa Bay, which we "northerners" lovingly refer to as "Red Sox Nation South".

So sit back, and enjoy the show tonight because it's sure to be a good one. The Rockies are a tough line up, hitters 1-9; and we've got a formidable offense ourselves. Good on both teams on making it this far, because while I can't speak for the Rockies since I'm not a follower of the NL -- I know the Red Sox earned their spot to be there, and I'm sure that Colorado has as well.

Enjoy the series, and careful….sour grapes taste like vinegar and might burn if they go down the wrong pipe. Would hate to see you choke and miss out if Tampa Bay was to make it to the playoffs next year. ;)

Rebecca XXXXXXXXXX
http://supergoddessgirl.blogspot.com
PS: Oh yeah, feel free to send some nasty emails my way as well. I'm sure I can hang with the best of 'em.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen sistah. But why all the Red Sox animosity? I don't get it. I'm definitely in enemy territory out here in the land of the the recently-swept Angels.

btw, linked here from Dawn's blog. ;-)