Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Part of my competitive spirit....

So, I recently decided to try playing racquetball.
We've got a brand new gym at work - and aside from being really nice in general - it's got some really nice raquetball courts.

So I figured - eh, how difficult can it be?

Well.  Considering I don't know the rules on how to play -- clearly, it's more difficult than I thought.
But I'm enjoying it anyway.  One of my girlfriends and I don't really play by the rules so much as we just hit the ball around.  We're going to do that again today, actually - before our run. And a few people from my office were talking about getting a "game" together some time next week, though I don't know that I’m really ready to play a game.

But being of that competitive nature - I don't dare turn down the offer.
It's not as if I can't figure it out.

Speaking of trying new things….we're also signed up for the rock climbing class.  Now that should be interesting.  The wall itself isn't as tall as I thought it would be - though I'm thinking that once I'm up there, it might be more challenging than it appears.  Given my trust issues, this ought to be interesting! 

And of course there's boxing that I've signed up for.  But that's old hat.  What's exciting for me on this one though, is that there are actually other girls signed up.  AND…rumor has it that they're putting in a ring.  So I might actually have the opportunity to work the mitts and/or spar with someone other than a guy.  Which is potentially going to be a lot of fun.

Assuming they actually let us spar.  It might just be training.   And I"ll be honest, I've never sparred before in general.  I've only worked the mitts, the heavy bag -  and had some one hit me firmly, but not too hard --  if I didn't keep my hands up.  None of the girls I trained with wanted to spar with me -- and the guys I trained with, would've killed me.  So I've never actually gone toe to toe with a "peer".   I might spar, get hit and say "so not for me".   But for some reason, I just don't think that's the case.

On the flip side of it though, let's not forget...I am still very  "girly girly" -- despite my rather athletic, tomboy-ish and competitve spirit.  And I certainly am not looking to have my nose broken or my face bruised up.

But either way, it's fun learning new things and taking on new challenges.  Sports and athletics are not just physically challenging, but they're mentally challenging as well, sometimes even more so -- particularly when you're venturing into unfamilar territory. 

And this girl is always up for a challenge.


1 comment:

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

It's official. You've gone from Trixie to "Million Dollar Baby!" :)