Thursday, August 30, 2007

There'll be sad songs, to make you cry....

Last night as I was driving home, I heard Eliot Yamin's song "I will wait for you".
I really like this song, because I like the melody and the runs in his voice. But for some reason last night, it was like I heard the lyrics for the first time. And the thought struck me, "this is so not true". I actually think I might've said it aloud.

Listen, we've all had our hearts broken at one time or another. And, most of us have broken hearts of others somewhere along the line - inadvertantly of course. And we all pledge our undying love…and we all swear we'll "wait forever".

But, we never really do.
And certainly no one waits forever for us.


Because we all learn, that time does really heal - and that we do find another one to make us smile once again. Pining doesn't go on for all eternity. And while maybe there is that one special someone that we look back on and think "what might have been", it doesn't ruin us for all others.


And yet, one of the most popular topics that songwriters write about, is unrequited love. Something that we all have experienced - yet have moved on from.

I'm ready to hear a song about someone who's glad that they didn't stay with that person. Being thankful for maybe finding out that they were the "wrong" person rather than the right person all along. Not with remorse or regret - but with real gratitude and passion for finding the right person after all.


Which of course, makes you wonder - is there really a "right" person. Or is it just someone who's right, for right now. Because we all grow and change…we're living breathing creatures, and so clearly relationships don't stay the same. Is there truly one person that is for "forever"? Or are we meant to be with varying people at varying stages of our lives?


That in of itself, certainly sounds like a topic of a song to me!

2 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

This is why you should still read me.

Then you could have put some of this in the comment thread for this post.

But, you don't.

Maybe I should write a sad song about that.

Rebecca said...

hey BWH - I do still read you!!
I just don't get to post all that often....

Now I'm sad.... :(