Friday, January 06, 2006

The Saga of the Sofa....

Okay. So remember the sofa from a few posts ago that I had been hoping to use in my formal living room?
No go. And you know how I always say "Everything happens for a reason...". Well, I still believe.
Here's the story.

I've had this set for what, 3.5 weeks now - sitting in my garage - and I stare at it every morning before I leave for work. See, the Salvation Army refused to take my beautiful set that I presently have....why, you ask? Because it had a barely perceptible stain on the bottom of one of the cushions. (Translate that into them busting my balls because I had to call a supervisor twice - once because they never came when they said they would; the second time because they hadn't returned my call to reschedule. I always donate to charity; I find it disparaging to have the Salvation Army turn down perfectly decent furniture. Why, do people normally donate brand new furniture? )


As much as I love it - you know what? It really doesn't match my living room. It's too dark.
And the chair I had been hoping to keep - really doesn't match my sofa.

So. I asked around to see if anyone needed a set. Turns out, my sitter's son just got an apartment and needs furniture. He came by before the holidays and decided he could use the sofa; he said he'd be by after Christmas to get it.....but never came. I didn't want to pressure him (he is only 21 after all!), so I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, this past week I said "it's got to go." I placed an ad on Craig's List - and lo and behold - I had a person chomping at the bit to pick it up tonight.

Then, yesterday morning - my sitter informed me that her son was renting a truck, and was picking up the sofa on Saturday. Now what was I to do? I went from being left with an abandoned set that I couldn't use - to having two people want it. And then - I got a phone call this morning from my mother in law; her best friend wanted to take it. I told her that she was welcome to the chair, but the sofa was spoken for.


So as it stands now - the sofa is being taken on Sunday, and the chair on Sunday evening.
And I, still have my old set.

Which I really love anyway.
Whatever was I thinking when I thought I needed a new set?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm going to set up an email account just for bloggers so I can have you email me. This totally sucks that I can't peruse your blog. I've tried getting to your blog through different links and always the same thing. I can either see your posts and read them, but when I click to comment, Internet Explorer shuts down stating that the memory can't be read. Or I have to skip reading and click on comments right away in order to get you a message. Then it shuts down after I post it.

Your's is the only one I have a problem with but if anyone has a suggestion to help me fix it, please post it on my blog.

Michelle said...

HOLD THE PHONE!!!! It worked this time. I'm gonna go read what I missed! Fingers crossed that it works.

Michelle said...

Well, I was able to succesfully comment on all the posts I missed.

Welcome back baby!!!!

Mellissa said...

Hey - you should have sold it on EBAY ;-) and bought yourself a new pair of boots.....

Mellissa

Rebecca said...

Good point Mellissa!!! :)

Laura: My old set that they wouldn't take, I'm keeping. The newer set was the one I wanted to keep... that's okay though. What are ya gonna do, right?

Naive: WOOHOO. I'm sorry, I wish I knew why my blog gives you such a hard time!!!

Big Ben said...

You should have tried to stuff the sofa into one of those salvation army donation bins.

clew said...

ARGH, that's the worst when you have something wonderful that you only want to help someone with, and you can't even pay someone to be interested! Then once you get it taken care of, you end up in a pickle anyway. Sorry it's been such a pill for you.

My folks are the same as Kodijack's. They've had the same sofa for like 40 years. It's getting it's 4th reupholstering job (that I can remember, maybe there have been more) as we speak.

Who wants to fool with all that though? well, maybe it's better than trying to find a home for your old couch! ;)