Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Loss of a Life...

It's the little things in life that often go underappreciated.

The smell of the air after it's rained outside. The feel of soft sheets in bed. Warm food from the oven. The sound of dogs barking on a sunny day. The sound of a child's laughter. Spending time together with your family on a Sunday afternoon. Walking across the lawn barefoot in the summer to get mail from the mailbox. Taking a hot shower. Eating an ice cream cone. Saying "I love you." Hearing "I love you". Making plans for tomorrow. Next week. Next month. Next year.

We got a call last night that my husband's aunt passed away. She was 45 years old.

She had been diagnosed over the summer with leukemia; we knew that with the type of leukemia she was struggling with she would have a few years at the most; but while she was deemed "terminal", she was not on death's door. She was responding well to chemotherapy; she had put on weight - and despite the loss of her hair, she looked and felt great. Better than she had in months. Maybe even years.

It wasn't the leukemia that took her life so suddenly. It was an aneurisim in her brain. She was in the hospital for a marrow transfer, and that went well. She was preparing to go home, and she was complaining of headaches. And then, she was gone. Literally here one minute.....gone the next.

I suppose in retrospect, it's better to go quickly than to have withered away from the disease that was inside of her. She leaves behind a family that loved her tremendously, including two heartbroken children. Their lives will never be the same again.

So whatever your trouble is for today....financial, personal, professional, emotional...put it aside. Take a few minutes to step back and appreciate the world around you.

Because life is too short.
Truly.

9 comments:

Big Ben said...

Nicely put. If I had kids I'd hug them right now.

clew said...

:( ......

Cissa Fireheart said...

Rebecca,

I am very sorry for your family's loss. I will pray for all of the family's strength to get through this very sad and very tough time.

(((((((((BIG OLE HUGS)))))))))))

Bougie Black Boy said...

My hear goes out to you and your family during this time. And this was a beautiful write-up and it definitely shows us your appreciation of those around you, and even for the air we breathe.

Mellissa said...

Rebecca,

So sorry to hear this news. My sympathies to your family and heartfelt prayers as well!!

Thanks for reminding us all to live out loud!

Love,
Mellissa

Lori said...

I'm so sorry, Rebecca. You have it right, and I know this all too well. Since I am 44 myself, this really hits home...

Bless you all.

Cheryl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. That's so difficult! And you're so right, we need to appreciate the time we have. It's precious.

Rebecca said...

Thanks to you all...
Tomorrow is the wake. It's not going to be an easy one. But then again - they never really are.

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry for your family during this hard time of saying good bye.