Thursday, January 19, 2006

Daydream Believer...and a Home Coming Queen!

When I was a kid, I loved "The Monkees". I mean loved. Okay, I'll be honest - obsessed.
Our local tv station used to play them every day for an hour between 4-5 p.m., and when they were going to change up the schedule for new programming - I protested. Literally.

My next door neighbor and I wrote petition letters under 40 different names; some in marker - some even in crayon - stating how much we loved that show and did not want it taken off the air. I was 10, she was 11. Her favorite was Mickey Dolenz, and mine was Davey Jones.
It didn't work. But hey - we gave it the college try, right?

We used to go into Boston with her Mom and go to these little record shops (which, back in 1980 still existed, because of course there weren't CDs at that point!) and we'd buy the eclectic 45s that carried the "B" sides of their songs. I was one of the few people who knew every single Monkees tunes in their entirety - not just the popular ones. "Shades of Gray" was one of my favorites because Peter Tork actually sang on it.

I had the episode of the Brady Bunch that Davy Jones guest starred in memorized. I envied Marcia to the point of feeling like Jan on a bad hair day! I wanted him to come to my school....I wanted Davy Jones to kiss ME on the cheek.

It never happened.

By the time I was 13, I outgrew the obesession and was merely just a fan.
Until my honeymoon.

There I was, on my cruise - not knowing what the evening would bring us. We decided to see a show.
Imagine my surprise to see Mickey Dolenz as the main showcase for that evening.
We sat in the 5th row (I wanted 1st but we weren't first in the room - who knew he'd be there?!?!) and it was like I was 10 all over again. When he started singing the songs from the good ol' days, I was singing - I was laughing, I was clapping.

I had him laughing...honestly.
I clearly was enjoying myself more than most - no alcohol involved.
He even pointed at me and chuckled while he was singing.
Yup. He laughed at me.

I didn't care. I was pumped because I saw 1/4 of my childhood favorite group!

By the way...I just visited Davy Jones' official website.
He's still adorable!

Hmmm, Maybe he can make my Christmas party next year?

13 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

Michael Nesmith is a comedic genius.
Nuff Said.

Lori said...

Oh man! I LOVED the Monkees! My sister and I used to watch them on Saturdays and act out our fav characters. I liked BOTH Mickey and Davey..and I remember that Davy Jones Brady episode, too! Ah....the memories.

And then there was Bobby Sherman...

Rebecca said...

BWH: He was a genius, no doubt. He was truly the man behind MTV - not sure if you knew that.

Lori: Bobby Sherman! hahaha. And Harvey Klinger... ;)

Cissa Fireheart said...

OMG REBECCA!!! I LOVED THE MONKEES TOOO!!

I went to see them at Cape Cod Melody Tent. My first time seeing them live ever. They played Aug 30th, 1997. My birthday (and Princess Diana's death) was the next day and I had a sign that said "It's my 20th birthday, I want a kiss Peter!" AND I GOT IT!!

"Shades of Gray" and "I Won't Be the Same Without Her" was one of my favorites too. I liked the stuff Mike and Peter would sing on.

Man I had so much Monkees stuff...In 4th grade, my friend Nessa (the one I mention in my blog often) and I convinced the chorus teacher to do "Daydream Believer" for the song for concert one time. It was so awesome!!

I still have all their music on cassette or CD. Even the rarer stuff from after Mike left the group. Oh yeah, I was THAT fanatical. LOL

Thanks for sharing this! Glad to know I am not the only one who was as Crazy about them as Me! PETER RULES!!!

Bougie Black Boy said...

you are absolutely hilarious. . . hilarious! That was a great write up. I could see you transforming this into a short story.

*** said...

Didn't everyone love the Monkees? I loved their intro, and I think Mickey was my fav until I saw that same Brady episode. It was all Davey after that.

I still remember listening to their album back in MN...

Jerrster said...

I was a big fan of the Monkees...although I've seen some of the TV shows and wonder just what it is I thought was so great about the show...but I remember I nearly wept when the show went off the air.

bigwhitehat said...

Did you ever see Elephant parts?

"Lucy and Ramona and Sun Set Sam....."

Big Ben said...

I hate to burst your bubble but was he singing on the cruise because he likes to perform or becuase he needed the money?

(I liked the show!)

Mellissa said...

You crack me up....you really do!!!

Mellissa

Michelle said...

Hey, hey, hey we're the monkeys. People say we monkey around.

Now I hope you're stuck singing that because I can't stop singing, Cheer up sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean to a....

you get the idea. :)

Cheryl said...

Oh my. You've brought back memories for me too! High school graduation, a party in my best friend's garage, and a dozen boys swinging from the rafters and singing along with a RECORD of "Hey hey we're the Monkees!"

Alison Rose said...

Love, love, love the Monkees! I was a big Mike fan (who knew then that his mom invented Liquid Paper, making him an insta-millionaire?), so I was disappointed when I saw them on one of those nostalgia tours in the mid-80s with everyone except Mike. Nevertheless, a great, great show.

(BTW, that nostalgia show also featured Gary Puckett of GP and the Union Gap. Except for his somewhat disturbing prediliction for singing songs about jail bait--"Young Girl, Get Out of My Mind," etc.--he was a belter. Shoulda been on Broadway.)

Awesome post, Rebecca!