Saturday, January 28, 2006

If I could talk to the animals....

My first career aspiration was to be a veterinarian. I was going to save all of the dogs, cats, birds, horses - and every other animal in this world. That lasted until I was about 8, when I realized that vets put pets "to sleep". Needless to say I put that career path aside. Of course, that didn't end my love for animals.

I'm an avid dog enthusiast - I love reading about dog psychology - specifically wolf behaviour. Prior to my getting married, I volunteered at a wolf education and rehabilitation center here in Massachusetts. Prior to becoming pregnant with my son, I was signed up for a wolf behaviour seminar in Indiana at a well respected education and rehabilitation facility. I always wanted to own a male and a female wolf, and take them to schools to teach children about the myths and misconceptions of these animals; and to treasure and respect them as a valued part of our ecosystem. I haven't done this, because it's not condusive to have small children and wolves together. But, maybe someday.

If I was ever a billionaire - one of the thoughts I'd always had was that I'd open two shelters. One for your standard types of pets - and the other for exotic animals being kept illegally and stuck between two worlds. Unable to fit in their natural environment, and unwanted by zoos. These animals would have a 24 hour a day staff to tend to them. And I would be there every day to spend time with them. Whatever animals were there to live out their lives, would at least die knowing that someone loved and cared for them.

I'll always have a passion for animals. I still try to save birds with broken wings....I let bugs out of my house during the summer... I'll save the stray that wanders into my yard.

I'm trying to instill that same love for animals into my children.
Chances are, if you're kind to animals - then you're probably a nice person overall.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey Dale - Yup. Wolf Hollow...
http://www.wolfhollowipswich.com/

They have more wolves than they show online. It's a family "business", started w. a husband and wife and kids - the huband passed from Alzheimers, and I believe the wife Joanie and her "Friend" (not sure if she remarried???) are running it. I loved, loved, loved being there. While it wasn't for a long period of time, it made such an impact on me. Had I not known my husband, or had been in a serious relationship - I probably would be doing that right on a more serious note about now. :)

Rebecca said...

One more footnote:
http://www.wolfpark.org/index.html

is where I had planned on taking the wolf behaviour seminar. It's a great website to show children, its got beautiful photos, lots of information - and it's a great way to show children the beauty and human side to these animals, while keeping in mind that they are wild.


Check it out! Ruby and Pierce might love it.

Cheryl said...

Dale said it first, about mean to animals=mean person.

There's a place we go camping that brings in wolf rescue people, and of course they bring their wolves, every summer. We weren't there at the right time last year, but I'm hoping this year... I'll check that website also.

Big Ben said...

I watched the movie "Must Love Dogs" last week. Everyone should love dogs (cats however are boring)

Stone said...

I like Wolves too. they make really Coats. LOL JOKE.

Bougie Black Boy said...

Yeah I love dogs and birds and fish. . . I'd have a farm if i could. Hmmm. big heart!

Nunzia said...

Someone told me once that God gifts us and puts desires in our hearts but we don't always know what to do with them. I'm glad you found a purpose for yours!

Mellissa said...

That is sooo coool. I worked for a pretty famous fellow at one time and one of our projects was the re-introduction of the wolf into Yellowstone. Norman Schwartzkof (sp) came in and narrated the video and I learned sooo much about them

Amazing, haunting animals!!!

You are awesome lady!

Bug

Michelle said...

I've always been the same as you when it comes to animals. I've tried to save baby birds, bunnies, kittens and the like all leading to great heartache if they didn't make it.

Rebecca said...

Follow up:
After this post, my husband and sone came home with a new addition to the family: A Beta (aka Siamese Fighting fish). He's beautiful, fiery red w/ a hint of blue on his body. My son promptly named him "Rocky Marciano Crusher". :)