Monday, January 16, 2006

Only the good die young...

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King Jr.

********************************************************
We took my son today to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe.
Love, love, love this movie.

However, I did not get to see the end of it - so please, don't tell me about it. I never saw it as a child, nor did I ever read the book. I plan on going back myself to finish it.

My son, on the other hand - has. And so while he's seen the cartoon, and heard the story - he's pretty sensitive, and seeing the Lion as magnificent as he was - being brutalized, he had enough. And despite that he knows it has a happy ending (I'm guessing, I heard my husband telling him that!!) he said he didn't want to watch the rest. He said he knows the story and just didn't want to see it. Hmmm. Well, he IS only a little over 4 1/2. I didn't find it scary or too violent for him, but he said the Lion was just such a "great person" he didn't want to see that part.

The beautiful thing about children is that they see people and creatures for who they are, as opposed to how they appear. To him, the Lion is a "great person" - rather than a great animal. He sees him for the characteristics he portrays, rather than the obvious outside description of being a Lion. I hope it stays that way... it's the way we've shown him the world, and I hope that his views stay that way despite his exposure to others that will soon happen as he enters school.

To see each other for who we are, and not how we appear - that is part of the dream.
Not just MLK Jr's dream - but hopefully, everyone's dream.

Because I believe that truly is what we all want....
Truth. Not perception.
To not be judged.

And while I know that there are people still today, who don't believe in what Martin Luther King stood for, fought for...died for; I certainly hope that there are fewer and fewer of them as each day goes on.

That is part of my dream. And my job as a parent, is attempting to fulfill it.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

You'll have to rent the DVD when it comes out--fast forward past the scary part and let your boy see the ending.

That's cool that your son sees Aslan for the characteristics he portrays. That's how C.S. Lewis intended it, I'm sure. They are great books, the Chronicles of Narnia. They did a good job of sticking to the text when they made the movie.

clew said...

I'm back. Thought I'd let you know. Temporary insanity. :)

Thanks for the note!

Big Ben said...

good post. Luckily there is a lot of tolerence is this country and I hope we can rub off a little more on ya (more the south than Boston and we're not prefect ..you know what I mean)

Michelle said...

Very well put post. You're my hero!

clew said...

Oh BTW ... I completely bawled during the Aslan sacrifice. I hope that means I'm a good person after all. :)

Mellissa said...

I just saw this movie the other day and was so sad about Aslan. Like you, I had never read the books as a child. You see, I was scared of the title ;-)

The most amamzing thing is that you son sees the larger picture of what C.S. Lewis was trying to get across.

Also, I think Aslan is a metaphor for Christ in that he sacrificed himself for the life of others.

What a great movie. I really loved it and felt like a kid again when I got to go see it.

Your son sounds so tender hearted and loving. Nice job on that!!!

Jerrster said...

what a beautiful post Rebecca...gosh I want to hug my own son right now and he is 21 with a very scraggly,patchy gross beard...kids teach us..if we are listening. (i know you listen)

Rebecca said...

Hi All!
Thanks for your kind words... I'm so proud of my son - and I did love the movie. I have to tell you, since I didn't see the end I didn't realize the tie to Christianity...but I gather that makes sense.

Kodi - I have to tell you, it was less violent than a typical Disney movie. Some of the characters were scary in personality, and some of their gestures were a little frightening (e.g. typical wolves being bad guys), but there wasn't any violence. It was atypical good vs. evil. Honestly - I think the Lion King was more violent. But because this was "real" as opposed to animation, and it's a dark atmosphere movie anyway, it's just a bit more ominous. Age plays a part too - at different ages, different things frighten, you know what I mean?

Jerry - Go Hug your son!!!! :)

ramblin' girl said...

wonderful, wonderful post! and sorry 'bout the outcome of Saturday's game... well, ok, not really... ;~)