Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Inside the Actor's Studio....

While I audition here and there for things around Boston, I don't do much "work" in the theatrical aspect. I did have an extra bit for last Friday in the Danny Aiello movie "Stiffs"...however, I had to decline at the last minute because they changed the call time, and it conflicted with something I already had planned. Things like this happen all the time in the entertainment industry (Cheryl can attest to this I'm sure!), which is part of the reason as to why I haven't been able to fully dedicate myself to that field. I've always been too pragmatic, too practical. And while I can fly by the seat of my pants with regards to planning - when you have children, that freedom sort of flies out the window. And so does your flexibility, which makes it virtually impossible to have an acting career.

I've come to grips with the fact that I will never be on stage, accepting an Academy Award saying "You like me! You really, really like me!". Nor will I ever be interviewed by James Lipton. So, I've decided to ask myself the 10 questions that are posed to every actor at the close of "Inside the Actor's Studio". (Warning: Offensive language coming. Cover your eyes if you don't like swear words!!)

Yet, in light of this realization - I still hang onto the dream. And I'll still continue to audition.
If you've ever been involved in the theatre or acting, you'll understand.
It's a high that you just can't give up.


And now, without further adieu.... My answers to the infamous questions:

01. What is your favorite word? Concurrent; I'm not sure why, I just love it.
02. What is your least favorite word? Arse, It's ass. It annoys me to no end when someone says "arse".
03. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? I thrive under pressure...that turns me on creatively.
04. What turns you off? Negativity
05. What is your favorite curse word? Fuck. It's a noun, a verb, an adjective. It can be reflective of a state of mind. It's so simple, yet covers so much ground.
06. What sound or noise do you love? Laughter

07. What sound or noise do you hate? Another creature in pain, physical or emotional
08. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Forensic psychologist
09. What profession would you not like to do? Human Resources
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? It's about time! I thought you were going to live forever....!!!

9 comments:

Alison Rose said...

LOL--James Lipton really should have you on. And you're right--"fuck" really is an incredibly versatile word. Plus, it's an acronym (it stands for "for unlawful carnal knowledge"), which adds a whole layer of history and amusement to it.

And "concurrent"--that is a nice word!

Cheryl said...

You're so right about the industry. I gave up most of it, particularly performing, when Sweetie Pie was born because I couldn't keep the flexibility of schedule that I needed. And I feel like someone's cut off my right arm or something when I'm not doing it. When he's a little older and I can incorporate him into it with me or get away for rehearsals, I'll do it again. You'll have more time when your kids are older.

Big Ben said...

James Lipton is a freak - you are better off. I can't wait to see you in "Good Will Hunting 2" Maybe your line will be, "How do you like these apples?"

DBFrank said...

Ah, work. In any form, it is just that - work :P)

Rebecca said...

Alison - I had NO CLUE that it truly was an acronym. Now I love it that much more!

Cheryl - I know, I know... but will the industry have time for me at that point??? Well, theatre always will I suppose! :)

Laura - Don't change it - we can share! ;) Us and a million other people.

Mr Fabulous: Welcome! Thanks for stopping by...

Sue: I KNEW I'd hate HR! ;)

Ben: That was the best line in the original. I wouldn't mind recapturing it in part 2!


Laurie: Wishful thinking, huh? ;)

SC: Yes....work in any form is truly that. But to love it would be wonderful!

clew said...

Rebecca ~

2. Sorry, I say arse in my blog sometimes. Mostly because I'm trying to stop cussing. Don't hate me :)

5. & 8. ME TOO!!!

Rebecca said...

Clew - I never noticed that you say that! How funny! And that is so bizarre that you would want to do forensic psychology, huh? Well, maybe not so weird. I think that birds of a feather, tend to flock together, no?

Rebecca said...

hahahhaa. Dale - you are so right! That was great!!! ;)

Susan said...

I might just steal this for my blog!