Saturday, January 21, 2006

One Fish, Two Fish...Red Fish, Blue Fish...

Today, I'm being Auntie, instead of just Mom. My nephew who's 5 is staying over and having a sleepover with my 4.5 year old son. This is their first sleepover together, so it's been quite a buildup all week. Even though they're first cousins - they're more like brothers. And, they're best friends which is really great. They love each other.

And they're behaving wonderfully together, which is great.
Normally - they're running around like banshees, so clearly - I'm thrilled with the serenity.

Auntie's not stupid.....we played outside for over an hour today before it got waaaay too windy out; then we came in and painted Tshirts. My son, daughter and I got up early to go to the craft shop to get the shirts, and paints, etc... Now, they're watching a little television and playing imagination games - and soon, we'll be making home made pizza for dinner.

Then it's off to change for bed...rent a movie and have popcorn....and promptly to bed at 8 in a Thomas the Train tent we set up in my son's room. (We had to move the train table out, which my son was not at all happy about - until he saw the tent!) And then Dr. Seuss storytime....

My husband is going to be out, so when the kiddies are in bed - time for me to relax, unwind...and drink some wine and surf the blogosphere.

Not such a bad way to spend a Saturday!

5 comments:

Martie said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a Saturday.....a some "me" time in the evening....what more could you ask for? Enjoy!

Michelle said...

Drew just went down for the night, Glenn went to pick up Chinese and I'm trying to decide if I'll attempt scrapbooking one handed, or settle on a movie to watch. Wanna come over?

Rebecca said...

Aha - the footnote. Hubby came home early; and my nephew is eagerly anticipating the arrival of his mother...he's scared. :( Poor kid - it's his first sleepover and would rather sleep at home. My son took it pretty hard, crying like someone took his favorite toy away. So I had to explain that while he's perfectly ready to sleep at his cousin's house (he's very adaptable), his cousin isn't (his cousin isn't adaptable at all..). Baby steps. It will just take a little time. So needless to say - the kids are still up, the hubby's watching hockey and I'm waiting along with my nephew for my sister.

Sometimes the best laid plans...
That's ok. It was fun anyway!

Cheryl said...

Awwww... well, whether he made it the whole night or not, these times will create such GREAT memories for your kids, and you too. My son rode with Max & wife & kids from a game to a restaurant (the whole family was going--my parents too) and I was watching how happy he was, skipping along with his cousins, and I thought--these little moments are the best!

Mellissa said...

What a dreamy day.....I wish I could have come over too - I paint a mean t-shirt ;-)

Mellissa