Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I'm finally seeing what the hype is about....

A few months back, I was playing some sort of trivia game with someone (I can't quite remember with who, or where) and the question was asked "What is the number one business that people have as a secondary income?". I guessed the answer correctly - Ebay. I only thought of this because my cousin Julie makes a killing selling everything she owns practically! She sells her knicknacks - she sells her children's clothing - she buys things and resells them! And clearly she's not the only person in the world doing this.

I often lurk on Ebay; browsing to see what's out there when I'm bored. I've sold something on there once - my girlfriend Karla has an account and was nice enough to sell my John Edward tickets for me when I wasn't able to go. I DID make double my money, which was a nice little incentive - so I can see the attraction on the reselling bit. But I've never bought anything online.

Well, today is a new day for me...I'm no longer an Ebay Virgin. I opened an account....and I was on a specific mission. My kids each have a favorite stuffed animal. My son has "Baby Bear", a Miniwear Classics Teddy Bear that is 4.5 years old now. I found it on Ebay yesterday but hadn't set up my account yet. It's now sadly gone...but I have no fear that it will show up once again. My daughter on the other hand, has "Connie" the cow - who's really Gund's "Otis" cow. And I've bid on him! So fingers crossed, I will be the BEST MOM EVER by having replacements for my children's beloved sleeping companions. Connie is wearing from being washed soooo much. My daughter carries her everywhere; Baby Bear is now wearing thin to the rattle inside, even though my son only relies on her at bedtime. She's been washed so many times - and I want to patch her, but he says "no...she won't be the same".


Now, I'm on a shopping spree...naaah, not really. I'm still pretty cynical about buying things online and paying for the shipping and handling when I can go to the store and buy something without the extra cost. But, for hard to find items like these (and maybe StovePipe jeans by Express which are now discontinued?!?!) I can make an exception....

15 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

Great(sarcasm)! Echo buys from Ebay. Now I'm getting your old stuff. Wonderful...

Rebecca said...

BWH: hahaha, have no fear. I won't be selling, only buying.... ;)

Laura: Send me your link, I love jewelery!!!!

Laurie: Is that you on the bike??? Nice bike!!!

Jerrster said...

if I didn't use all my old crap...I'd sell it on ebay too.

Mellissa said...

Well, well....I think you just might be on to something...

I never bought anything from Ebay, but I do browse around sometimes. One of these days I am soo gonna do it.

Mellissa

Lori said...

Don't patch Baby Bear! She really won't be the same (I did this once to a doll and afterwards, she was a no-go with my daughter). Maybe with the replacement bear and cow, you could put them away (since could the really replace the originals?!) and give them as gifts to your son and daughter at a shower - or at the hospital - when THEY have their first babies. Hard to imagine now, but time has a way of flying by so quickly....

chesneygirl said...

I also like to browse Ebay and have a bought a few things but have never sold anything. I got some GREAT deals on used maternity clothes that were like new!

My 18 month old son has "Kitty" which is actually a Precious Moments "Tender Pals" and even though he's only been attached to it for about 9 months, by the looks of it you'd think it's been 9 YEARS!!

Cheryl said...

Oh boy, careful out there! My mom & dad are both addicted.

DBFrank said...

EBay can be addictive. I know :)

Bougie Black Boy said...

My god. I love ebay. When I was broke as a joke, I sold a lot of my old clothes, paintings, computer parts, electronic devices on there.

Alison Rose said...

Especially when you're looking for obscure or hard-to-find stuff, eBay is awesome. Two years ago I set out to get old cookbooks, videos, and posters by or about Julia Child and Jacques Pepin for my husband. That was one good Christmas for him! Only on eBay!

Stone said...

Beware Bewere Beware. I spent too much money on ebay. LOL its so addictive. but pick me up something. LOL joke!!!

Susan said...

Ebay is so damn addicting!

Thanks for visiting my new home. It just wouldn't be the same without you!

Big Ben said...

I now sleep with a Gund Pug named Wrinkles!

Martie said...

I've browsed e-bay looking for a couple specific items and had no luck whatsoever! So as far as I'm concerned, I don't see what all the excitement is about but I know people that love it too!

Michelle said...

eBay! Now there's a scary term. I've bought stuff but never sold anything via this channel. I do like shopping online, but I'd rather go to the store and experience what I'm going to buy. Unless, like you said, it's a hard to find item.