Sunday, November 30, 2008

How lovely are your branches...

So, it's not a fabulous photo since I took it with my cell phone, but here is l'arbre de Noël ~ 2008.

Of course, I completely forgot how much the cats love love love the ribbon and ornaments. I've had to redo the ribbon at the bottom twice already.

Well, cats have to enjoy the holiday season too, right?

I'm usually very particular about how the tree gets done, certain colors first, then specific decorative ornaments go on -- I have it all down to a science. However...

One of the best things of having children is that they almost force you to leave that kind of neuroticism out of doing things like this; by their mere exuberance and excitement you have no choice but to have fun and not make it a project of perfection.

Sure, I was caught saying "no, put that down!", "no - not that one yet!", "wait! wait until I put the hook through..please listen!." but the truth of the matter is that we ended up putting the ornaments on completely in no particular fashion or order -- and I didn't even really notice until I was done. I said to my aunt "hmmm. I almost forgot about these ornaments, and they're my favorite!". They're the ones I generally put on first, but this year....they were added last.


There were only two bulb casualties -- and they were my fault -- the kids were surprisingly gentle without even giving much though to it.

It was a great day.... I made beef stew, pumpkin bread, reese's brownies (which sound better than they actually were, I didn't love them); and my aunt brought over turkey salad and chocolate chip cookies, and we just sort of hung out - listened to music and ate by the glow of the tree.

Of course, with two kids all sorts of excited and running around....and of course, the curious cats.

The beginning of the holiday season has officially begun in this girl's house....

1 comment:

Susan said...

So pretty!