Friday, November 28, 2008

China & Platinum

Tonight is my 20th year high school reunion.
Again, I reiterate -- I'm so not old enough to be having a 20 year mark of anything!
But, the truth of the matter is -- I am.

China and Platinum are the elements that are representative of what you would give to someone who's having their 20th anniversary.

Sure, we aren't married to our classmates in the literal sense; but we are bonded with them in the pages of our lives. We will forever be known as the "graduating class of 1988". We have a history of memories that while was for only a short moment in time -- it was an important one.

I haven't really changed all that much from high school; I don't think anyone who I haven't seen or run into is going to say "wow, you look so different!" or anything like that. I was always pretty driven and ambitious, and I was really friendly with everyone so it's not like I was shy or didn't socialize. I was drama club/cheerleader/rocker chick. I was also sports girl -- not in the playing aspect, but in the stats aspect. I used to have a group of guy friends that would wait in homeroom for me to come in so they could quiz me on stats and standings of teams in the NHL and NBA.

Truthfully, I think the biggest thing is that people may have expected me to have left and gone to LA. A few years after high school someone said to me (and I can't remember who they are, how sad is that? ) "I'm glad you're doing well, I'm just surprised you're still here. I really thought you were going to be on Broadway or television by now...".

In the class will, (which it would be really fun if they read tonight!) I was left "my own television show", "my name in lights", "a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame", and fun things like that.

Which just goes to show that the career aspirations we had when we were 16, 17, 18 and even into our 20s often don't get to come to fruition; whether we held ourselves back and didnt pursue what we could have -- or luck just didn't go the way some needed it to. And then there are some who went to school and got degrees in what they thought they wanted, only to opt to do something entirely different.

Life is a funny thing. While I'm not where I may have thought I'd be 20 years ago -- I am happy with where I am today. Life is good.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the people I was friends with so long ago, and see what kind of grown ups they've turned out to be as well.

No comments: