Monday, November 03, 2008

They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, they say there's always magic in the air...

Sitting front row at the Barrymore Theatre to see David Mamet's "Speed the Plow" was truly nothing short of spectacular.

Though we weren't sure that it would be that way when we were first seated.
It's a beautiful theatre, and an intimate venue which is what I want when I'm seeing a theatrical presentation. But when we sat, our knees were literally touching the stage, and everyone of us in the front row sort of looked at each other and thought "hmm. Maybe we should've gone one row back....". But the minute the lights went down and the actors took the stage it was abundantly clear that we had the best seats in the house, bar none. They were so close, we were practically part of the play ourselves. In one scene, Jeremy Piven almost fell in our laps -- literally.

Raul Esparza and Jeremy Piven were both fantastic -- and that's not an exaggeration. This was a production that has highs and lows, and some great emotion that you don't always get to see in plays. I think the biggest surprise for me was how well Elizabeth Moss performed. In the beginning I wasn't sure of how she was going to do -- but she was excellent.

Going to the theatre always bring back the excitement I remember about being involved in drama myself. I see them up there, and think "I can SO do that... !!" I have done that - just obviously, not on Broadway or any venue so grand.


There's something electric about being on stage -- it's probably what I think someone would equate to a high. Every performance is a living, breathing thing - and it's different every time. It's demanding and rigorous as far as scheduling goes -- but man, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

It's that whole "you can take the girl away from the dream but you can't take the dream away from the girl..."
But we all make choices in life.... and my choice wasn't to follow my dream.
It is, what it is.

At least though, I get to feel the excitement again -- even if it's only vicariously -- and that in of itself is enough for now.

If you plan on going to NYC at any point between now and February -- I'd highly recommend taking this show in.


You won't be disappointed.

No comments: