Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Mash Up!

1. Yesterday's Patriot's game was unflipping believable. I couldn't pull myself away - and literally, you almost weren't able to because at one point it almost seemed as if whomever had possession was scoring. The defense clearly needs more work -- as do the safeties. Seriously, I think I hit harder than Brendan Merriweather -- which is disappointing because I'd really hoped he'd be a good follow on for when and if the time came for Rodney Harrison to retire. Not sure he's developing to be "that guy". And I'm sorry, I get that John Lynch is "old" but I'm thinking that experience and tenacity is needed in that position.

Matt Cassell -- wow. I (like many others) certainly am needing to be eating my words of the last few months. Clearly, players improve when given the ability to play -- but I don't know that anyone expected this. Is he Brady-like? No, I don't think so - but he is definitely coming into his own. See what happens when the expectations are low -- often you get surprised. It really shows you a person's character and fortitude when they are perceived as the underdog, are aware of that fact -- and then exceed all expectations. And on a chick note: he's cuter than Tom was in the beginning. Just think of the supermodels he's going to be getting once he gets his makeover...!


Final Patriots thought: Bill Belichick is an amazing coach. All you naysayers and cynics from last season who had nothing but negativity and jeers towards this team, that man and all their accomplishments -- hmmm. You think they're cheating now? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it! (As Alex & Rob like to say....!)

2. Sometimes, you just like what you like. Last week, I mentioned a song I love by Alter Bridge titled "Metalingus". Well today, I heard a song that is entirely in a different vein -- it's soft, acoustic and really melodic. I had no idea who it was performed by, but I felt as if I knew who was singing it - there was something familiar about the voice. Get this: it's called "Watch Over You" by none other than................ my boys Alter Bridge! Must. Buy. The CD.

3. Last night, the nicest thing happened. My daughter and I were having our sushi date and sitting behind us was a man eating dinner alone. I only know this because when his food came over, it smelled so good that I had to turn around to see what he got. That was when I noticed he was eating alone. Anyway, at the end of our dinner - my daughter was laughing and noticeably looking at this man. So I asked what she was laughing at and she came across the table and whispered into my ear "that man is making funny faces at me and making me laugh". So I turned around and he said "she's adorable, she's been entertaining me". So I thanked him and said that she can certainly be quite funny. So she and I finish eating...and he must've left. The waitresses came over to give me my bill and told me that my "friend" paid the tab. I said, "friend? I don't have any friends here.....?" when they told me the man behind me paid. I saw him up at the counter and said "oh, he shouldn't have done that!"....but he left before I could thank him and I wasn't about to leave my daughter at the table. But I know he heard my reaction because he looked back at us.

What's interesting is that my first thought was "Wow, how unbelievably thoughtful and kind". My second thought was "is he some crazy guy who'd be waiting for us in the parking lot". See how society has changed us from taking random acts of kindness at face value and reading into some sort of underlying bad motive?

But I brushed that secondary reaction away and stuck with my original gut feeling of "What a really nice guy. Such a kind thing to do...."

So where ever you are...whomever you are....thank you.
It was appreciated!

4. Jason, Jason -- where for art thou Jason..... please don't make me wait until Christmas Eve to determine whether I'll be happy or in mourning this upcoming season. "Rumor" has it a one year deal was offered, which rather surprises me considering I think we all thought that he's looking for better longevity, and probably not wanting to have to continually renegotiate as a one year deal would imply he'd need to do. All I can say is this, if our good Captain is in need of some career counseling advice, this girl is more than willing to lend an ear and offer kind words of advice!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I have the alter bridge CD if you want a copy...rather than buying it.