Thursday, November 20, 2008

"You think you know me...."

(The beginning of Alter Bridge by Metalingus. One of my favorite songs. It's also the theme song for "Edge".)

So here's a statement I never thought I'd ever make:
I think I like WWE.
????

I know, crazy isn't it? While I can't find myself getting enthralled with the story lines -- the music alone is enough to reel me in.

My son loves wrestling. At the tender age of 7 1/2 he knows all about the history of the league (and it's predecessors), the storylines, characters real names, entrance songs (both new and old) -- you name it, he knows it. He has every video game for Xbox and Xbox 360 that has been released for wrestling. And I have to admit -- it's pretty darn fun! You can coordinate everything about a wrestler that you create...and in the newer versions, they even announce the name you make for them as they enter the ring.

You know he made a girl wrestler named "Rebecca".

Truthfully, when G introduced wrestling to him -- I thought he was far too young to be watching it; I think that some of the content with the ladies is a bit too adult for him -- however, Mom doesn't get to win all battles. He gets that it isn't "real", and that these are athletes who play characters (sorry if I'm ruining the mystique for anyone! ) -- but we've also explained to him that they're all very hardworking and talented athletes who put their lives at risk each time they perform. Enjoy this form of entertainment or not -- these people are definitely physical and athletic.

G has a friend who's father is a very important person in the WWE world, and who has been kind enough to get tickets for my son on occasion. This Sunday, there is a big series that is going to be in town and my son will be going. G is supposed to take him, but with his back..... if he's not better in time, then I'll just have to do it.

And interestingly enough, this girl surprisingly finds herself wishing that he just doesn’t feel up to going....

No comments: