Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oh, Doctor, doctor, can't you see I'm burning, burning

So the last 24 hours or so have been interesting to say the least.

Seems that G has a pinched nerve in his back. Potentially caused by a herniated disc - the Xrays looked okay, no odd spacing or thinning which is a good thing; but only a CT or MRI will truly show whether the disc is herniated or not. Truthfully, even if it is - surgery isn't generally an option anyway.
(Whew.)


But he can barely walk, and is really uncomfortable.
How did this happen, you ask?

Well. It's like this.....

Friday night, I get a call. It goes something like this:

G: Hey, whats going on?
Me: Nothing, where are you - at J's?

G: At the store buying sneakers. I'm going to play football with some of the guys.
Me: Um, you're going to what? You know you have a bad back, right? That's just stupid. No football.
G: Stop, I'll be fine. They're calling me out, calling me old -- I'll be fine.
Me: (Clearly irritated) You are old. This is your busy season, don't be a dumbass.
G: Get outta here, it's just a quick game of flag football - I'll call you later.
Hangs up.
Me: (Insert a string of expletives HERE.)

And, sure enough. By Sunday - he couldn't walk.
Monday he waited hours upon hours to be seen by the ER, only to leave unseen.
Yesterday, we went - which is how we were able to determine it wasn't anything more critical.
And that brings us to today.

I wasn't able to get him into see my acupuncturist before Monday, she had a death in the family. But his sister got him into see another one who I've heard of - and whom is very well thought of from what I hear from those who've been to see him. So hopefully, this course of therapy will help some.

Poor guy, for whatever reason - pain medicines don't work on him. Muscle relaxers don't affect him like they affect everyone else -- I've never seen anything like it in my life. Whether it's at the dentist, or at the hospital -- the iv sedation they give him never works. He's always awake, lucid - and feels everything.


Well, the upside to that is -- he won't turn into Jeff Conaway -- he can't get high!
(God forbid! Little "Celebrity Rehab w/ Dr. Drew Pinsky" joke in there.)

I just hope it clears up for him quickly. For his sake....and mine!



4 comments:

Suldog said...

I've been lucky. Never had any back woes - just knees (catcher's disease!)

Hope everything works out well.

By the way, just my opinion, but I think he's better off with some back pain than to have not played and felt old. Of course, it all depends upon the level of pain and if it's treatable. But, having an athletic fling (more often than not) is better for you, mentally, than not doing it. Just my two cents (and probably not worth that much.)

BHWS / BHWG said...

(It's me, just posting under my wine account, I was updating my store blog!)

Hey Suldog - I know, it means everything to you guys. He's very athletic anyway, always working out, running etc. - he's a former boxer so he's always "in shape" so to speak.

It's just sometimes, boys need to think with their heads and not their machismo or whatever it's called. Timing is everything...sigh.

But, the good news is, it's a little better than yesterday which is an encouraging sign. And he's got these unbelievable herbs from the Chinese doctor that he has to boil and drink. They're going to taste disgusting but I bet he feels amazing afterwards!!

Nichole M said...

::shakes head::

boys.

boys are stupid.

~**Dawn**~ said...

1. Maybe he can get some tips from JD Drew on how to feel better?

2. Someone please make sure JD doesn't decide to play flag football with his kids please...