Friday, April 27, 2007

I'm a believer....

BWH tagged me to do this little posting about what was the first album I ever bought and memories associated with it.

I have to be honest and say that I bought 45's long before I bought albums. My mom and I used to go to the local record store in Malden Square (totally dating myself here) and buy them all the time. The oldest song I remember buying is "If I can't have you" by Yvonne Elliman - that and "Lead Me On" by Maxine Nightingale. Oh, and maybe "Boogie Oogie, Oogie" by Taste of Honey.

The first album I remember buying, was one that I still love to this day. My friends and I were obsessed with this group. Watching the television shows, pretending to be dating them (I loved Davy Jones, of course!) -- even pretending to be them. Girls can be silly, what can I say.


(Tell me, how adorable is Davy Jones in this picture? For those of you who "pretend" you don't know who he is, he's the cute one at the bottom....Loved, loved, loved him! Waaay more than Marcia Brady ever did! I'd have fought her for him!)

9 comments:

Lori said...

My sister and I LOVED The Monkees! I loved Davy and Mickey and she went for Peter. We used to pretend that we were them, too! I thought we were the only ones who did that! I remember running around the front yard on the farm and swinging on the swingset, singing their songs in the early days of summer.

What wonderful memories....and I do miss records. Sigh..

bigwhitehat said...

How Funny!

I happen to own a copy of Michael Nesmiths Elephant parts.

BigDadGib said...

(singing)
"Hey Hey with the Monkees..."

They had the coolest dune buggy! I dreamed of having a dune buggy just like theirs.

Great post.

Mellissa said...

I remember they had a tv show. But other than that song from the opening I don't remember anything about them. I am glad you told us wich one Davy Jones was - cause I really didn't know - lol!!

I find it strange that my first album was the J. Giles Band...in 1984...and you and are the same age!! Rebecca I think my mother deprived me of the Monkeys!!!

I will go to iTunes and check em' out...and think of you!!

xoxox,
Mel

Suldog said...

I am NOT ashamed to say I have four Monkees albums, and also two Mike Nesmith solo albums. They're all a fun listen.

chesneygirl said...

The Monkeys were just a wee bit before my time.... but I remember they sort of made a "come back" when MTV starting playing reruns of their TV show. I liked them then! :)

Fun post, Rebecca!

Cheryl said...

Oh this brings back memories. And I have boogie oogie oogie stuck in my head now.

Tim said...

I saw them in concert in 1986, when I was in high school. They were doing a reunion tour or something. Quite a good show, actually.

Have you been to their web site?

Alison Rose said...

I saw that reunion tour, too! They had everyone but Mike (who was my favorite, but it was still a great show). No shame in lovin' the Monkees--they had great songwriters (like Neil Diamond) and real singers (Davy was a London stage star). And the show was GREAT!