Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Free your mind...and the rest will follow.

Its funny how much disdain there seems to be towards thin people lately. There’s a whole “anti-size 0 “movement going on. I’ve seen the topic on other blogs, I hear it from other women - and of course, the media fuels the fire.

As a matter of fact, one of my local radio DJs was interviewing Heidi Klum last week and made some sort of off hand comment about her being a size 0 after having so many kids. To which she promptly replied that neither she, nor most of her supermodel acquaintances were size 0. Not that she should have to justify herself, but she seemed a little surprised by his comment. I was too - because it didn't quite come off as complimentary. Not sure if that was the intent or not.

I am a size 0.
I’m not a supermodel – nor am I sickly looking. I’m 5’1 – and I have a petite frame.

I am not Nicole Ritchie or Posh Spice thin; I’m fit and athletic – but I’m still a size 0. I can’t help it, this is just how I am.
I was 164 lbs when I gave birth to my son. Considering I’d been 100 lbs when I conceived him, that was a dramatic weight gain. When I was pregnant with a second child that I lost – I put on 25 lbs in the first 13 weeks. Some women put that on that amount over the term of their pregnancy! I put 54 lbs on when I had my daughter – and she was 5 weeks early! Did I lose all the weight immediately? No, of course not. But did I starve myself, or live an unhealthy lifestyle to try to get down to some silly clothing size? Of course not.

I worked out, modified my diet a little bit (sugar to splenda, cream to milk) and figured wherever my body wants to be is where it will be. And sure enough, I’m a small person by nature – here I am again. Like Gisele Bundchen (though not my favorite person lately) commented not too long ago, sometimes people are just genetically built a certain way.

I suppose it sounds trite considering the overwhelming amount of prejudiced placed upon people who are overweight in society – but I wholeheartedly disagree with that mindset as well.


We need to stop judging people based upon their appearances, be it weight or ethnicity; style or sexuality.
Live and let live. This is the concept that people need to embrace.
You just might see the world in a brighter light if you do.

9 comments:

ramblin' girl said...

exactly!

Anonymous said...

What was the radio station where Heidi Klum was interviewed? I really want to hear the interview.

Anyways, speak it, you are so right.

Suldog said...

Amen. De Gustibus Non Est Disputadum, as my grandfather used to say after a few stiff ones.

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

A hundred pounds? No way.

I would have thought you were around 102 with those new yoga muscles. :)

Penny said...

Amen to that! In my job we get lots of letters and photos from athletic women. Some are petite some are not. But they are all healthy.

My "weight" motives are mainly to feel good about myself and stave off the heart disease and diabetes that run in my family.

But I hate it when people see my skinny arms and legs and say "oh, you're so thin. I hate you!"

Lori said...

My daughter battles this all the time. She is naturally thin with a small frame, though she is 5'5", she weighs about 105. She eats like a madman, but doesn't show it and I think she's perfect just the way she is.

Mellissa said...

Hey Shoe Soul Sister!

I agree with you 100% and thanks for writing this. No matter what our skeleton holds on the outside we are all the same on the inside.

It took me a long time to embrace myself and not be so critical. When I meet someone thin and beautiful, I celebrate them for who they are!!

xoxo,
Bug

Susan said...

Totally agree with you. As someone who is 5' nothing and always thinking of her weight..LOL.

Rebecca said...

Hi All -
Thanks for chiming in and showing a lil' love. :)

Anonymous: John Lander/Mix 98.5