Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Facing fears....

More often than not, I think we are our own worst enemies.
Rather than giving someone the opportunity to tell us that we either haven’t done a “good job”, or that we “aren’t qualified” - we make the assumptions ourselves and eliminate the risk of failure – by not attempting various things that we might like to do. Not just professionally – but personally as well.

I had a conversation about this with my sister not too long ago actually. She’s in the medical field and would like to enter an area that she is afraid she wouldn’t do well in because she’s not good in Math. So, she was shelving the idea. I told her that she shouldn’t just think that way and not try to accomplish what she really wants. Go for it! So she has to work a little harder at it; so it may not be a strong suit for her – but Math isn’t the only area that she’d have to get good grades in. Give herself the opportunity and try. Let the school be the judge as to whether she is going to pass or fail – but don’t sell herself short just because she’s afraid that she won’t do well.

We can’t all be good at everything – and that’s a bitter pill to swallow. Especially for someone like me, who often feels defined by the perception of who others think I am, or want me to be.

So, what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

I’m still thinking about it.

6 comments:

Shayna said...

Rebecca,

You're right! We are our own worst enemies....and if I could accomplish one feat that I knew I wouldn't fail at, it would be to write a novel. This is the one dream that has always "haunted" me, but as you said, we seem to second guess ourselves and set ourselves up for defeat, before ever giving it a try.

bigwhitehat said...

Hmmm.... I'm waiting on a call back from a job interview. You really boosted my confidence here.

Cheryl said...

I'd attempt a good night's sleep. That's only a little bit tongue-in-cheek.

Suldog said...

If I absolutely couldn't fail? I'd convert the entire world to one religion. Christianity is what I believe in, but really, any ONE would probably do for purposes of peace.

Either that or I'd put every penny I own on the longest shot on the board at Aqueduct in the fourth race. You say I can't fail, right? :-)

chesneygirl said...

Wow, you've got me nailed here!
Because I have a long commute to work, I always have my eye open for job openings closer to my home. I often come across a job description that I like the sound of and then I come to that one part that lists something that I'm not very good at or have never been trained in and I immediately give up and don't bother to apply.
And I do it ALL the time!

You're right, I should go for it next time!! :)

Susan said...

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. My Best Friend did that recently, it takes a lot of guts. She shifted careers in her 30s and I am amazed at her tenacity.