Monday, March 19, 2007

'Twas the luck o' the Snow Goddess...I mean the Irish!

It always seems that the best laid plans go astray, doesn’t it?

The surprise birthday party that was supposed to happen on Friday – didn’t. Silly snow getting in the way of everything.
I did manage to go out to my favorite Martini Bar on Friday night. It really wasn’t all that bad out by 7pm, mostly rain so I figured why not. They’ve recently renovated and just reopened. You know, I’m not loving it as much as I did before the redesign. It’s very “Boston” now, all trendy and retro chic with white, crimson and black furniture. They have live music there now, so it’s sort of a lounge type feel. Very different from how it was before. I sort of preferred it’s trendy but warm and classic feel, with the darker woods and rustic coloring. Most importantly – the martini’s weren’t nearly as impressive as before. Smaller glasses – and no “extra”. They used to come in oversized martini glasses, with always about a ¼ more left in the shaker to top off as you drank. Not now...small glasses and nothing in the shaker – and the prices are the same. Hmmm. I suppose they had to finance this redesign somehow, right?

So, Saturday was the night the "surprise" party took place, and while maybe she wasn’t surprised – she still had a great time. Instead of doing the traditional St. Patty’s Day pub thing – we celebrated one of the girls anniversary of her 29th birthday!

Which in some ways is better because not only did I get to spend time with a bulk of my friends – I didn’t have a hangover on Sunday! You know how that green beer is....it goes down easy, but catches up with you just as easily!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like fun to me...even if the drinks are a little shorter. You and I should try the place near my house...Blues Diner. Good martini's w/in walking distance.

Steve said...

Gotta say, " that's one 'ugly crowd'..lol.....
Actually, Bec, the 'girls' are looking better and better.....must be the alcohol ! :)

Dad

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. We have a great hang out that is all done in Retro sytle, bar stools, and diner booths. Just relaxing and cheap drinks too! Fun!

chesneygirl said...

sounds like fun times!!
I haven't been to a Martini bar in AGES!!