Thursday, March 29, 2007

Raising a daughter...

I'm home for the first half of the day today, and going into the office after 12:00 - so I'm spending this morning being Domestic Supergoddess, which I don't get to do often during the week. I came to a realization earlier this morning when struggling with my daughter for the millionth time this week over something basic - like getting out of the bathtub.

Being a Mom to a little girl - is far more difficult than I ever imagined it to be. My daughter is fiercely independent, strong willed, and has no fear. She's impulsive; even at her young age she often acts before she thinks about the outcome. Maybe that's normal for toddlers, but I'm relatively spoiled because my son, is the polar opposite; he's a thinker. He's always, even as a toddler - thought about every move he's ever made and what the consequences would be. My daughter, doesn't care about consequences. She laughs in the face of consequences. This, is quite a challenge for me.

I know that she's testing her boundaries -- and that this is the "terrible two's". I'm just hoping that they end at some point! She can be as good as gold....and then absolutely fresh and almost mean.

I'm trying to embrace her independence and "spunk" - she's going to need it in the world she's going to become a part of; at the same time, I need to try and help her channel that energy in the right direction at the right times. I know we have a long time in life to go before I have to worry about that really; but at moments like I had with her today, it's hard to not think about these things! I'm always hoping that I can be the best role model for her in trying to balancing not only all the things she wants to achieve -- but her emotions as well.

I guess just having another "Type A" and headstrong girl in the house is just something that Mom isn't used to!

8 comments:

Susan said...

I always tell my sister, mom to a little girl that this is payback for putting my mom through hell. She sounds just like my sister! Ha, Ha.

It's not a bad thing, trust me.

Greens and Pinks said...

It's rough having two alpha females in the house. My one year old daughter is already the same way. Like you, I know these attributes will potentially serve her well as she grows up, but I'm already thinking about how best to teach her to slow down and temper her headstrong-ness. Raising a daughter is tough stuff.

Steve said...

Now who said "The cocconut doesn't fall far from the tree?"...Anyhow, it seems that every generation can usually tell the same tale !

Dad

Suldog said...

Rebecca:

Since your post today concerns your children, you might like to come over to my place and express an opinion or two. Mine is about children, also - specifically, asking for some comments concerning children and media.

clew said...

Hey girlie!

That whole testing thing is maddening.

A good friend of mine recently clued me in on something. The Terrible Twos is only the beginning. That as trying as the twos are, three is when the little darlings REALLY figure out how to push buttons and endanger their own lives.

I was told this after Incrediboy's 3rd birthday and naively thought, that wasn't an easy year, but it wasn't so bad!

And just like magic, after three, the real testing began.

We'll make it. :)

Big Ben said...

I hope my kids are more like Patti, not all over the plase like me. Maybe instead of the batub you could just hose your kids off in the backyard.

Lori said...

A lot of people say that raising girls is more difficult, but I think kids are all so different. Motherhood is definitely the most challenging job we have, but I have faith that you will figure it out as well as be a great role model for your confident little girl!

Cheryl said...

"Spunk" is a great thing! I worry about some of the little girls I have at school--the ones who get perfect grades, behave perfectly, and who won't argue, say "no," or even stand up for themselves when they should. I would never want mine to be one of those--God forbid a predator get a hold on a kid who has no spunk. Your girl will be a leader!