Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Looking back and feeling good....

I’ve never been the type of person who feels that she needs validation on any decisions I’ve made in life, but...... it is rather nice when you get some.

Saturday I saw my best friend and her husband who I met “way back in the day”, through my ex. Ex-boyfriend, not husband – though we did spend upwards of 7 years together. “Common law marriage”, I used to tease.

I ended our relationship, although for some time before we actually broke up – we both were sort of ending the relationship in our own ways.

While there were things about him that drove me insane and it was clear we weren’t in love with each other any more, I really enjoyed him on many levels as a friend. We were actually really good friends which was nice; we had a lot of fun together, always making each other laugh. And when we broke up, at times I often wondered if I made the right decision. We attempted to date for a very brief time afterwards, and after spending time alone without him – and then revisiting the possibilities, I knew I made the right choice. While I really enjoyed his company at times – the core of who he once was had changed; and that was not someone I wanted to be with any longer. His principles changed, he changed his friends....he became motivated by money, which made him lie and be deceitful – as well as miserable.

He ruined almost all of his friendships that he’d had – including the one he held with his best friend: My best friend’s husband. After not speaking for many years, they now have a business relationship. They’re both tradesmen, and cross paths – job sharing from time to time.

He pulled me aside at the end of the party and said...

G: “You know, you made the best decision in your life leaving that piece of $h!t”.
Me: “Really? That’s good to know. I always say we never would’ve made it had he asked me to marry him. I’d have divorced him shortly thereafter”.
G: “He’s the most miserable, whining complaining person I’ve ever met. For someone who supposedly has “so much money and property”, he’s constantly miserable and crying poor mouth”.
Me: “Yeah, that sounds like him. I don’t know why he changed, but he did. He’s just so miserable and corrupt. That’s a good word for him. He’s corrupt.”

I certainly won’t share the comments made about my ex's wife. But she’s nothing at all like me. Which all of us who know both her and I, have already known for years.

You reap what you sow. And negative energy attracts negative energy.
That was one bunch of negative energy that I did not need or want in my life – nor do I miss it.

And as much as it’s 10 years later, and I certainly don’t need the validation; it was hard not to feel really happy as I drove home.

5 comments:

Peter N said...

And happy is great...I hope all is well...and thanks for stopping by! P.S. It's 62 degrees here! WOW! Peter N.

bigwhitehat said...

You may be glad. But that is still stinkin' thinkin'.

I'll bet your hubby is pretty spectacular. Think about that instead.

Anonymous said...

Good story. And good for you too.

Martie said...

Hey I left a comment here yesterday and it's gone....that happened on two other sites too....blogger doesn't like me this week!

I think what I said was.....gloat, and then move on!

Hugs

Susan said...

Getting that validation, no matter how many years later just makes you feel good. No matter what!