Thursday, March 15, 2007

It walks, it talks....it slices, it dices!

How wrong are the ads for deodorant? “Goes on clear -- leaves no residue!” is the marketing pitch for all of the deodorant brands nowadays. Well, I’m here to tell you, they’re lying. I mean sure – if you’re wearing white, who the heck is going to see if your deodorant gets on your shirt in the morning? But I’m a dark color kind of girl. Blacks, browns, burgundies – those are staples in my wardrobe, especially in the winter time. Trust me when I tell you, every morning no matter how cautious I am – I am wiping deodorant off of my shirt. Granted, it’s better than products of years past where the residue didn’t come off – this brushes right off. But then that leaves me to wonder how effective is the product to begin with?

Myth: No residue
Truth: Wipeable residue – clear on, certainly isn’t clear coming off.

And how about mascara? When it comes to makeup, I’m a minimalist – but I have long eye lashes, so I’m a mascara addict: Dior, Givenchy, MAC, Adrien Arpel, Mary Kay, Maybelline, Fusion. I’ve tried them all, looking for my lashes to be as gorgeous as they can possibly be – or at least as they appear on the girls in the magazines for the products. I’m here to tell you, it’s not possible. You want to know the truth as to how you get your lashes to look like hot, smoky and sensational....

Myth: Mascara does it all: “weightless, long-wearing mascara formulated to lift and extend the lashes while adding sleek volume. Colour-rich. Controllable. Won’t smudge or flake. Water- and tear-proof...”
Truth: An eyelash curler does it. Without one – no mascara is magic. Unless you go the fake eyelash route, but that’s just far too high maintenance for me. But if you use an eyelash curler, then you might actually get a little something other than dark circles under your eyes with your mascara.

And these are just two examples of many. There are no “miracle cure” products, as much as we may wish there were.
Nothing really makes wrinkles disappear....except for Botox or plastic surgery.

We can prevent, delay, hide, and pretend.....we can get sucked into all of the marketing schemes that are out there.
But the truth of the matter is – there is no truth in advertising.

What a bummer.

2 comments:

Martie said...

You're right of course....there is no truth in advertising. Which makes me wonder about all the products we buy.....don't they owe us some monetary compensation for false advertising? LOL

chesneygirl said...

I get sucked in by advertising every time, especially with makeup, only to be disappointed every single time....you'd think by now I'd learn???

BUT! I did learn the eyelash curler trick years go...You're right it works WONDERS!! :)