Saturday, October 01, 2005

Sunny Saturday after all...

This day didn't quite end up the way it was supposed to, but it turned out pretty nicely after all.

My husband was going to take my son to the fair that just opened this weekend. I opted not to come along, since I just still feel tired and I'm still coughing alot. So I was going to stay home, spend time with my daughter - and clean the house. Which to some, might sound crazy. But to those of you who know me - I love to clean. So it's rather theraputic.

We got a call as my husband was literally on his way out the door - that our store was flooded. Again. For the second time in a month - third time in a year. See, our store is on the street level of a mixed use brownstone; so if there's an issue with the p lumbing on the residential side of the house - it all comes down on us. It's been a nightmare. So, my husband flies down the store - of course, leaving my son home with me. Here we are thinking that our business can't survive another flood, we're going to have to close down....and my 4 year old son's heart is broken that Daddy can't take him to the fair. So, as devastating as the flood was - my number one priority was to make my son happy.

So I took a hot shower, packed the kids up - and we went apple picking! We went to a farm that's nearby us, that was having a family festival day as well. So not only did we pick apples - but pony rides for the kiddies, and ice cream after lunch...

The good news is that our store didn't flood after all...my husband got there just in time to shut off the main before it started raining in the store; and a plumber ripped our landlord a new one telling him that the plumbing needs to be entirely replaced otherwise we can kiss our business goodbye (this is great ammunition for us because we're trying to buy the building)...I still cleaned my house...I've got two freshly bathed, clean smelling children...and lots of sweet tasting apples to eat and bake with.

And despite the fact that I'm tired and sore from overdoing it... I don't even mind. My children's smiles and laughter will be a memory of today that I will always cherish, and make it worth while - even if I am sick a little longer.

All's well, that ends well.

4 comments:

DBFrank said...

The smile of a child will light up even the dreariest of days...

Pirate said...

Hectic day and near disaster, must be a family in the story. I'm glad you were able to get out and give the little guy some joy and your store didn't flood.

Rebecca said...

Thanks - I appreciate it... we've lived to see another day. It better get fixed though, because the next time, we might not be so lucky.

Rebecca said...

Hey Kodijack - we picked Cortland this time. I love them because they taste phenomenal right off the tree - and when you cook with them. :)

My personal faves are Granny Smith. I love to make apple caramel pie with them. And I always leave a bit of the skin on for just a little extra tartness. :)