Saturday, October 22, 2005

The Ultimate "Meme"...

I have to say....Cheryl's Top 100 inspired me. I'm having some difficulty thinking of things that one might not already know since I think my blog reveals alot about my personality. But I'll give it a try! Here's my "100 Things":

1. All my life, I've been drawn to helping stray animals...and stray people.
2. I tend to want to "fix" every one's problems
3. Of all my friends growing up, I was the only one who didn't have divorced parents.
4. I'm thankful for that.
5. I also think it hindered me in a way, since all the men I dated seriously (and the one I married) came from dysfunctional families. ( and I mean serious things far worse than divorce!)
6. Music was my life as a teenager.
7. I was very much involved in the local music scene here in Boston in the 80's and 90's
8. I was just as interested in sports, predominantly hockey and boxing
9. I was my school's "star thespian", and a cheerleader...and a rocker chick
10. In my senior year, I auditioned for a Fox TV show, "Angels 88" from a cattle call
11. You had to be 18, so I was 18 on the paperwork; I was only 17
12. I never expected to make the first round - I made it to the top 5 in Boston after three rounds
13. When asked directly how old I was, I couldn't lie...
14. I lost to Tea Leone
15. I went to college for broadcast journalism
16. To be a hockey play-by- play commentator
17. I didn't finish college because I wanted my own apartment
18. Back then, I wasn't mature enough to stay in school and work full time
19. I don't regret any decisions I've made in my life....none.
20. I've been surrounded by the Boston SWAT team before...funny story to be told later!
21. My parents taught me to read at an incredibly young age
22. Don't like chocolate or sweets that much
23. Love, love, love FOOD
24. I love to cook
25. Entertaining is one of my favorite ways to spend time
26. My husband and I own a wine shop in a beautiful neighborhood in Boston
27. I fell in love with him on our first date
28. I try to be kind to everyone
29. I can always find something beautiful in everyone
30. I never say anything behind someone's back that I don't have the courage to say to them in person
31. It scares me to show anyone they've hurt me emotionally
32. There is one person in the world who makes me anxious
33. They have no idea they have this effect on me, and they never will
34. When I was pregnant and found out I was having a boy, I was surprised
35. I was sure I was having a girl...
36. When I was pregnant and found out I was having a girl, I was surprised
37. I was sure I was having another boy...
38. I believe in dreams
39. And that it's never "too late...."
40. I am an eternal optomist
41. But still, very much a realist
42. It bothers me that my children don't have grandparents to see more than a few times a year
43. My children are my heart and soul
44. I love my husband
45. My girlfriends are my extended family
46. I would like to pursue amateur boxing
42. I always feel proud when everyone in class says I "hit like a man".
43. I'm an aggressive business woman
44. I wrote a letter recently to a woman who had a strong influence in my life when I was young; she was the first woman in upper management I ever encountered in the workforce, and she totally helped me realize my potential
45. I think it's important to let people know when they have made a positive impact on you
46. She wrote back...and I think I made her day :)
47. I believe that God helps those that help themselves
48. I'm addicted to Reeses Peanut Butter cups
49. And Dunkin' Donuts "keeping it real but high maintenance" coffee
50. I can nurse a cup of that from 7a.m. - 11 a.m.
51. Gotta love the microwave for that!
52. I'm a romantic by nature
53. And exceptionally sentimental...and sensitive of others
54. When I see someone who is severely handicapped or disfigured, I look them in the eyes and say hello with a smile; I'm afraid they don't get that often, and I couldn't imagine what life must be like to have people be afraid to look at you.
55. Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan is one of my favorite movies!
56. I'm a vast wasteland of useless information, I retain the oddest details
57. But it really helps when playing any kind of trivia game!
58. ...Especially music or entertainment trivia
59. I'm 5'1
60. I'm almost always freezing!
61. I have very low blood pressure - it's the same as my 4 year old: 80/50
62. Prior to last year - I hadn't taken an antibiotic since I had my last ear infection when I was 10
63. I've never had a cavity!
64. I'm very "Monica-ish" (from Friends)
65. I still remember a word from a spelling bee in the 5th grade, my friend won with the word pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. Who can forget that??!?
66. However, I'm horrible with math
67. I never took anything other than basic math
68. Because I withdrew from algebra
69. I love French style...the French language....French decor
70. But yet, I took Italian in high school
71. I love Ballads Designs catalog
72. Need to get to France someday!
73. I don't shop much for myself
74. Except for boots!
75. And house decor "stuff" ala Homegoods, etc...
76. It makes me happier to buy for my family
77. Never mistakes made, only lessons learned - I truly believe that
78. I think Forrest Gump is one of the best movies, ever.
79. Love love love to read!
80. Don't have any time to do it though
81. I love the smell of the air this time of year
82. While I'm good at cooking, I'm terrible at baking!
83. My chinese zodiac is the dog
84. I'd like to think it's an accurate description
85. My favorite animal is the Wolf
86. Before I was married, I volunteered at a Wolf education center...with real live ones!
87. I was supposed to take a week's class at Wolf Park in Indiana for a Wolf Behaviour seminar
88. But I found out I was pregnant - and due a month after the class start date - and withdrew
89. Someday, I'll take it.
90. I truly believe that when our children are small, it's such a short time in life to sacrifice our own dreams for the nurturing of theirs
91. I'm the only one in my family with green eyes

92. My signature scent is Amarige
93. Of all the family members I've lost, I miss my Auntie Saralee the most - she was too young
94. I named my daughter for her...but didn't use Saralee - just used the S
95. I tend to write like I speak
96. I love to take my children on adventures
97. I'm addicted to HBO programming
98. And Lip Fusion!
99. I believe in magic and miracles, love and hope
100. Most important, I feel good about who I am - where I've been - and where I'm going. I wouldn't change any of it, not for anything in the world.

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a great list!! You are the coolest, Rebecca. I am so coming to your wine store someday!! It is so, so lovely to get to know you better. Thins like 38, 39, 98 & 100 come through so clearly on your blog, and those are some of the many reasons you are so love here. Whenever I come here and read, or read your comments, I get a healthy dose of hope and beauty, and for that I am so very grateful!

What kind of music were you into in the 80's and 90's? My first hub was at Berklee College of Music in the 80's.

You're much cooler and prettier than Tea Leoni.

Bougie Black Boy said...

hey babe, some crazy person was attacking my blog. i wrote about it today. love to have you read my latest and comment, please.

echotig said...

I love it! Its great to learn 100 things about you!

Rebecca said...

Hi You Guys.... Thanks for your kind words on my ultimate "meme". :) (blush). At first I felt really vulnerable, not knowing what I really wanted to put out there - and then it became really fun! And there's so much more I could've put. For example - with regards to Stephen's post (which I'm going over to see now...), I have no tolerance for racism. I can only imagine what his response is because I saw the initial post he's referring to.

But I'm glad you enjoyed getting to know me a little better!

Cheryl - I used to go to the Channel, Bunrattys, The Paradise, Kendall Cafe, etc... I was always into "heavy metal/big hair rock" but also followed alot of the indie/acoustical, ala Patty Griffin, Tracy Chapman types. And was friends with alot of local musicians. I was very good friends with a local band who made it big. Not as big as Aerosmith, but bigger than most...I knew a bunch of people who went to Berklee as well! I used to want to go there - not because I was talented, but because I just knew so many people from there. :)

What genre of music was he involved in? You've mentioned you love Boston - did you spend much time here?

Anonymous said...

Math, wow, math is in everything, learn it live it love it.

Mellissa said...

Hi there!

I just finished reading your 100! I read Cheryl's too (she is awesome). The more I read about your stuff and my stuff, the more I am convinced that we would be fast friends if Boston and Atlanta were next door!

If you ever want to go to France, I am ALWAYS ready to pack and fly so you just let me know when you are ready to do it (and write it off as a business expense and we will visit the wine regions).

I loved this post!

Mel

Rebecca said...

Hey Anonymous - Yes. Math is the universal language. However, I can't be pefect, right? :) I've done pretty well considering...

Mellissa: Absolutely!! I just need to wait until the children are a little bit older, and then off to the French countryside!

Pirate said...

I once knew a lady from Boston named Mariann that was a sbeautiful as you desxribe yourself. Is it the water there?

Boxing? I love boxing. I bought an original poster last night at a school auction of the Ken Norton Ali fight in the 70s. It is in great condition; mint.

A wine shop with the one you love. How can life get any better then that?

Cheryl said...

The ex was mostly into jazz, but I was thinking we're a little older than you--you would have been in HS then. Funny how 5 years is nothing now, but it was a lot then. I've spent some time, but not a lot in Boston. My ex lived in Back Bay & was an ice cream maker at Steve's Ice Cream to work through school. ;-)

Susan said...

we were separated at birth?

60. I'm almost always freezing!
64. I'm very "Monica-ish" (from Friends)

that is me!

Seven said...

Cool list making. It's prolific, I 'm afraid my brain would have shut down much earlier. I like No. 18.
When I come back I want to be a baseball play by play star like Joe Buck!
Next time maybe.
Rick

Seven said...

Ooops, I meant 16. See what I mean about the brain?