Friday, October 07, 2005

What's up with IPOD style radio?

Here in Boston, a radio station completely changed format. It used to be an 70's disco/80's disco station (think cheesy tanning salon/gym music) - and it was definitely fun to listen to for a good mix. My musical taste is very eclectic - I range from Classical and Opera, to Heavy Metal. So occasionally when I want a break from my cd's, I like to listen to the radio. And I have my stations programmed in genre order: FM1 - Rock, Heavy Metal & Alternative Rock; FM2 - Top 40, Country, Hip Hop - sort of a pot pourri of music. Then - I also have genre specific band that has stations that are pre-programmed so I can listen to folk, blues, etc... very cool.

The station that changed format is now using this "IPOD style" of music. Which means, they'll play Metallica one minute - Air Supply the next. As if it was music in someone's personal IPOD. I suppose that's sort of cool, and sometimes they play a run of two or three songs that are good to listen to; but I find the format so radical, I can't enjoy it! If I'm in a Jimmy Buffett kind of mood - then I sort of want to hang with format for longer than the 2 minutes that the song is played, you know what I mean? I'm not ready to switch gears and jump into "Baby got Back".

I think this format is now being used all over the country - so where we've got MIKE FM, other areas have BOB, or STEVE...I think I read somewhere that they're all using random men's names for their call letters. Interestingly enough - while I find it annoying to jump genres on the radio, back in the day when MTV actually played videos - I enjoyed the jumping of genres there. Is it that we're more conditioned to be visually stimulated in different directions, but not on an audible level? And now that I think about it, MTV didn't stay in that direction very long either, because eventually programmers decided to cordon off their videos into programming blocks such as "Yo MTV Raps", "Headbangers Ball", etc..

There is a hole in Boston radio now .... damnit - I want my cheesy music back! :)

That being said, here's a little musical selection for ya'll: Patty Griffin's "Living With Ghosts". It's the title track off of an older CD of hers, but I guarantee you'll love it. Check it out and let me know what you think!

7 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

In Dallas it is Jack FM. I like it.

Susan said...

Mike FM is an odd station if I can say that. Nothing like hearing Whitesnake and then Michael Jackson in one sitting.

I like it but that's why I got satellite radio.

clew said...

I'm hip to that groove, girlfriend. There are a few stations here like that (though I've not heard the term IPOD style used) - it's kind of cool because I like an eclectic tossed salad approach to music - but sometimes the "g-forces" of the sudden back-to-back genre switch get annoying.

One more thing, my coworkers and I were talking about 80's music earlier today and we all got hooked on singing Baby Got Back for a good hour. How hilarious that you mentioned it here!

Pirate said...

You are so smart. life is a smorgesboard yah. Enjoy a little from each entree.

Jerrster said...

Rebecca....

yeah we have Jack FM here. I'm not thinking its a positive step. It's not radio it's muzak with less elevator music. The station here has no DJ's just never-ending soundbites telling me they have no DJ's and that "they" (who is "they"?) only play what "they"(there goes that "they" thing again) want to hear.
It's obnoxious radio to me. In between cd's I just sing the songs I know four or five words to and make the rest or the lyrics up.

Rebecca said...

It's funny - it seems that either you love it, or hate it. There's very few in the middle. Most of my girlfriends have grown to love it. Maybe I will someday too, but I'm just not there yet.... :)

echotig said...

We have Jack FM here and sometimes I love it. Then there are the days when they play some ridiculous old song and it gets stuck in my brain allllllll day!