Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Words and Music...

I’ve mentioned many times before, music is a huge part of my life. I appreciate artists, and their gifts. I love to hear the violin – when played properly – it can move me to tears. I’ve developed an appreciation for opera, because the human voice is another instrument that can move evoke emotion from within me. When it comes to “songs”, such as you hear on the radio, well, then I’m all about the lyrics. I am drawn towards story tellers, lyrical geniuses who can express what I’m thinking or feeling without even knowing who I am. I look for passion in their words. That’s partly why I’ve always been interested in folk singers and indie style musicians. There’s a hunger in that style of writing because it is real….it’s pure. It hasn’t been commercialized, or influenced by market trends.

One of my favorite, simple songs is by Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians. It contains a phrase that I have used as a tag line in my emails ever since email has been around. And prior to that – since I first heard the song at 18 – it could be seen written on a dry erase board, hanging behind me. Or printed on a piece of paper, tacked up on a corkboard. I’ve borrowed this phrase and used it as my own for 17 years now. I suppose in someway, it truly is mine now.

That is the magic of music. It can be a mirror of sorts... you can identify with it – it has the ability to reflect piece of who you really are. Those of you who know me personally, will know exactly which phrase in the song it is. And those of you who don’t know me personally – well, you just may figure it out anyway:

People pointing

Finger-painting the world
Leaving me the silhouette of my life
And I'm filling in the negative space with positively everything
I do, I do
And it's all because of you
I do, I do
And it's all because of you

It's not emotion that I feel for you
It's not devotion that I want from you
I want someone to follow who doesn't lead the way
I want someone to listen who won't repeat what I say
And I'm filling in the negative space with positively everything
I do, I do
And it's all because of you
I do, I do
And it's all because of you

5 comments:

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

I loved Brickell for years too!

Michelle said...

I've been listening to the new Kenny Chesney song, "Who You'd Be Today" and it moves me deeply. Especially with the telling of my story recently. :(

You can listen, if you're interested here:
http://www.cmt.com/sitewide/apps/mediaplayer/index.jhtml?

Pirate said...

Cool. So you are familiar with John Fahey, JJ Cale, Leo Kotke and John Prine all my favorites.

Cheryl said...

I hadn't thought about Edie Brickell in a long, long time...

Bougie Black Boy said...

Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians? I forgot about them, But I loved them!
You are probably a Sheryl Crow and/or a Fionna Apple fan, too?
I love them