Sunday, October 16, 2005

Do you believe in Magic?

Today, we took the kids to Salem for part of the October Halloween festivities. They had so many fun things to do and see...we didn't get to stay as long as I would've liked, partly because it was cold and blustery; partly because our daughter is only 15 months and cutting molars, so her attention span just wasn't there. That's okay though - I think we're planning on having a "date night" there before the end of the month. Candlelit Cemetary Tours, Haunted Houses, Witch Museums... fun!

This was actually the first time I'd ever gone there at this time of year - which is shocking because: 1) I grew up not even 7 miles from there; and 2) as a kid I was interested in Wicca and the supernatural. It just absolutely fascinated me. I would read books and do research papers, but never spent any time in the town for the Halloween festivities. There's something to be said when you grow up in an area so engrossed with history and culture. Unfortunately, you almost are jaded to it - it's part of the wallpaper of your life. And unless you take the time to be a "tourist" where you live, you always think "I'll do it another time". And then sometimes, that time never comes.

There are many places around me that I plan on being a "tourist" and visiting; Salem is definitely one of them. It was fun browsing the different magic shops, and seeing some of the beautiful goddess and "girly girly" items that they had inside. It reminded me of one of my favorite chick flicks, "Practical Magic". Not everything we think about magic has to be dark and ominous. Magic can be found in the feeling you get when a new baby is born, when you see a butterfly on a beautiful summer day, seeing your children gaze in wonder, or the warm glow you feel sitting around the fire on a winter's night.

"There are some things, though, I know for certain: Always throw spilled salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can."

And I do believe in Magic.

9 comments:

Tish Grier said...

Isn't it nice that we finally got a break from all that rain to actually go out and enjoy stuff! :-)

Cheryl said...

Sounds like fun! I think it's sad when we lose touch with what's magical around us--the magic I find in my life lines up with my own faith. Isn't it funny how we don't explore the history, etc. in our own areas because we live there?

clew said...

I love this stuff. :) I'm jealous I'm not there!

Poor Pats. They made a valiant effort at a comeback in the 2nd half though! ;)

Rebecca said...

Max - nice to see you lurking around still! :) Yes, actually they do burnings AND pressings. All the makings for a nightmare. :) Kidding. Nothing so glamourous although they do allude to it.

Tish: YES! I no longer feel like a cavedweller! Kodijack - didn't you say you're from WA? Isn't is supposed to be rainy there all the time? I think I'd be borderline homicidal if I lived in England, or someplace equally dreary all tlhe time!

Cheryl: Absolutely...magic is wherever we want too see it.. it's everywhere. :)

Clew/JAX: What do they do for Halloween we're you're at? Are there any towns that go all out like they do around here?

clew said...

Aw, we just have the typical fare ... haunted houses, haunted forests, haunted hayrides, etc. Cedar Point has a cool halloween themed weekend deal, if you like amusement parks ...

And of course the haunted bus tour I wrote about a week or two back ;)

I love Halloween!

bigwhitehat said...

We still trick or treat down here. It is good fun.

Lori said...

Magic is definitely all around us, and when we stop seeing it...well....that is when we truly grow old..

Robert Shapiro said...

Greetings,
In my experience the best kind of magic is benevolent magic so I support you and your vision of beauty in children, animals and life around you.
Goodlife

Rebecca said...

Thanks Robert!
And thanks for stopping in...:)