Thursday, October 20, 2005

Why I haven't been watching the news lately...


I've been doing my best to avoid watching the evening news. There is far too much abuse against children and animals in there lately, and it really just turns my stomach. I've been limiting my exposure to political affairs - and the weather. (Speaking of which, my parents who live in the Tampa area should strongly consider catching a flight to NE before they can't....I know my Dad, and he'll be determined to "ride it out". Not a great idea..) But I digress....

As I was in Dunkin Donut's this morning, getting my "high maintenance but keeping it real" coffee, I was reading the ticker tape running at the bottom of the screen that CNN was running. I see this: "Police in San Fransico searching for bodies of 2 children. Mother threw children over bridge into water. One body already found after passerby witnessed the mother throwing the children and called authorities" . The feeling in my stomach was nauseating.

What is wrong with this woman!?!?!??! She could've left those children on a street corner, as did the man in NYC recently. It doesn't make it right - but it gives those kids a chance.


I have very strong views on this particular subject of women who do this to their children, and I'll save that rant for another time, another day.

I know this type of crime happens, and I am not trying to bury my head in the sand over it by any stretch. But my time is precious, and how I choose to spend it - is not by being disgusted by stories such as this. And this story that caught my attention as I was innocently standing in line to buy a cup of coffee is exactly the reason why I stopped watching the news as of late.

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

There were 3 kids, if you want to get sicker. I don't watch news much either. I read a little, watch a bit, but can't take the news.

Love the "high maintenance but keeping it real" coffee. I'd rather read you and laugh than watch depressing news anyways.

clew said...

just saw this story at lunch. the worlds worst day became the worlds worstest day.

Jerrster said...

wrong...you are VERY funny..."crash test dummy nudist"...damn that's funny!

ok now let me go back and read you're post Rebecca.

Jerrster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jerrster said...

ah yes....the news...the continuous bad news...I'm glad you choose not to follow the TV news uninterrupted...it will make you crazy and can bring on waves of dred and then worse than that "depression". It can harden you and make you a "cynic" it did me once...then I saved myself and took my car radio pre-sets off talk radio and took my TV news watching WAY down.

I'm better for it I know. I hardly ever see conspiracies anymore also did you know Van Halen broke up? I was gone way too long.....

Susan said...

I saw that this morning and thought I was going to PUKE my whole breakfast up.

Lori said...

Thank goodness for blogs! Much better use of time.

Why is it that the bad news is the only news the media deems worthy of reporting? I know that there are many amazing and incredible people in the world doing wonderful things.

Same reason I won't go see horror movies. There are enough wackos out there for real. I don't need to pay money to see it on the screen, too.

thewriterslife said...

I heard about that on the news tonight. I was horrified. The woman is sick with a capital S.

bigwhitehat said...

Sorry, this sort of behavior is far from sick. It is diabolical. This is impossible without some kind of Satanic influence. Evil is ugly. I am glad you became nausiated. I would be more worried if you didn't.

DBFrank said...

This is why I could not be a cop. I'd have tossed her over the side and told her to find her kids... BWH has it right..there is EVIL in this world.

Rebecca said...

Hey All -
Yes, it is Evil. I started to write a much longer post about it all, and then I thought..."hmmm. This is definitely a subject for another day". Evil has many faces - and women who kill their children wear one of them.

Cheryl/Lori/Kodi - You are right, it's so much more fun to read blogs and chat than watch the news. I love Kodi's thought provoking questions of the day. :)

Jerry - You wise guy! ;)

Dorothy - Welcome!

Glitter/Impatient Girl: Disgusted, nauseauted - you name it, I felt it. While there has been one case that I felt compassion for - this would not be one of them.