Saturday, October 15, 2005

Hsaw Aknow...

"Is that Japanese? No, that's Wonka Wash spelled backwards."

Last night, as promised - I snuggled with the kiddies and watched one of my all time, most favorite movies: "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". This was my daughter's first time watching it, and my son's millionth! It has become one of his favorites as well. We talk about our favorite parts...laugh at the goofy things the children do, and sing the Oompa Loompa songs.

My husband took my son to see the remake by Tim Burton a few months back. When they came home, I asked how it was. Out of the mouth of babes, my 4 year old son said it was "Boring. Just ok. The first one was better".

It really irritates me that Hollywood feels that they have to take a classic like this - and redo it. Why? Because someone thinks they can make it more magical? I doubt it. With all the technology that we have today, it can not replace the magic of a concept being revealed for the first time. And no one can play an eccentric candy mogul better than Gene Wilder. No one. Johnny Depp just played a weird guy that no one would want their children around! And while the children in the original Willie Wonka were odd, they weren't distorted. It seems to me that all the people in Tim Burton's movies are just so distorted, both in personality and appearance.

The original, while containing plenty of adult humor - taught children lessons about behaviour, rule following, punishments and rewards - and was a generally "feel good" movie. What does Tim Burton's movie add? I think nothing.

Just like some movies really don't need sequels....some movies truly don't need remaking.

3 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

The redo was to make it more like the book. Dahl was weird and dark like Burton.

The remakes that drive me nuts are music. The new "Give a Little Bit", drives me nuts. And there is no Hank Williams remake that comes anywhere close to Hank himself. Some of my friends like Greenday. I liked them better the first time when they were called Cheap Trick and The Clash.

How many sitcoms can be made into movies?

Is familiarity more marketable that originality?

I think it might be.

clew said...

I did a writeup on the new one when my blog was still a baby ;) - I kind of liked it because I like Tim Burton, and, as BWH said, it more closely represented the book.

But. As a whole, you can't beat the 1971 classic. Hands down one of the best movies ever made. EVER!

My college roomie and I used to watch it and howl with laughter at the subtle (yet well deserved) rudeness of Willy towards the children. Great stuff!

Rebecca said...

Oh I know - his sarcasm is just beautiful.

"No. Don't. Stop."

Classic. :)