Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Thoughts for Today....

1. Buffalo is delicious. I've never had it before, and I sell it. So, I try to cook with what I sell because if I love it- it makes it that much easier for me to convince someone else to try it. I sell game meat that is free range and organic from a very reputable company - and I brought it in because so many of my customers are chefs and mention that they make game meals; or they are just customers who have randomly mentioned that they eat game meat - and so I thought it would be a good fit. Turns out that it is, it sells very well. But I hadn't personally tried it all, and tonight I did. I grilled the steaks with sea salt, black pepper & garlic, drizzled with truffle balsamic reduction paired with a simple salad. It smelled fantastic but what surprised me the most was that it is reminiscent of lamb. I knew it would be gamey, and while I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting that exactly.



2. While I know it's not exactly panic time....the Sox desperately need a win. If for nothing else but a change in psyche for them. And it's far too soon in the season to be so frustrated while watching them. While I know Jason is our backup catcher, truthfully Saltalamacchia doesn't look all that comfortable behind the plate - probably all the more reason why he needs to be there. At the same time, I felt so much better seeing Jason come in for last night's game and catching tonight as well. Now if Dice K doesn't screw it up, maybe we can get a win in the column.


3. No news on the house front... which is frustrating. We have an open house this weekend and someone requested information this week that one typically doesn't request unless they're contemplating putting an offer in. Trying not to care.....



4. Patience -- is it always a virtue?
I try daily to keep my cool and patience when my kids push buttons; I try to remind myself that it is their job to test their boundaries with us on a regular basis. But sometimes I lose my temper and I feel so disappointed. It happens, and that's part of being a parent; but I hate bringing it to their level and yelling...really yelling. I'm the parent, right!? I shouldn't have to get that way! At the same time, sometimes it puts it all in perspective for them when I really raise my voice and get LOUD. I explained to my Princess Petunia (who was the culprit this evening) that no matter how much she meltsdown, or how angry she gets - that her parents are always her safe place and love her no matter what. And while it makes me feel good that she knows that, (and the hug after all the arguing solidifies that confidence) and my lack of patience was something she needed at that moment to put things in perspective - I still wish I didn't have to do that.

Parenting is a tough, tough job. And it's one that helps us continue to grow as adults because we're always learning from the experience. These little people are looking to us to show them what will be expected from them in life -- and the reward of them being happy, grounded and successful on a personal level -- is worth more than anything else in the world. If losing my patience on occasion is going to help them be good people in life, then I will gladly do it, many times a day if need be.

No comments: