Monday, April 11, 2011

Cinderella always knows that the secret lies in the shoes....

Today was my first outdoor run in a long, long time. Six months anyway.


I didn't do too badly; 3.5 miles in 38 minutes, and I walked only about a half mile of it. I probably would've made better time; my breathing was fine and I didn't feel sore or anything, but I woke up this morning with a semi sore throat and a little congestion - and with the wind this morning, I actually had an earache while I was running. As warm as it was today, it was still rather cold this morning and so I was really uncomfortable at some points of the run. But I worked it out and finished.


So, I'll let you in on a little secret. All these years that I've been running, I've never once worn running sneakers. Truth. My favorite to run in are these cute pink and black New Balance sneakers that have zero support or cushioning. Back when I had my knee injury, my physical therapist was horrifed to see I was running in them - and she said she was shocked that I hadn't had other injuries prior. She begged me to get running sneakers post surgery -- which I planned on doing, but never did. Oh right, and I ran a 5k 5 weeks post surgery. Crazy, I know. But listen, I have to say, they're just comfortable - and besides, having never worn "running sneakers" I knew no better.


Well, the other day G was shopping and asked what I needed while he was out and I said "running sneakers". He runs and has a million pairs of good sneakers so I trusted him to pick out something for me. He got the Asics Gel Keyano 16, and I couldn't wait to try them out. (And yes, they're pink and very cute.)


So, back to my run. I have to say that the last time I ran outdoors my knee started to tweak, and my hips bothered me. (My hips?!? What's that all about....I'm so not getting old!). But not today! Not only did it feel like I was running on a cloud...but I feel fabulous even as I write now, 12 hours later. I love the way it felt so much, that I almost wanted to run again this afternoon; and had I brought them with me or clothes to change into, I think I would've.


Amazing what a difference a good pair of sneakers makes! And all of this time, I had no clue....

No comments: