Thursday, April 21, 2011

Something in the way she moves....

So, it's quickly approaching the one year anniversary of my Mother's passing.

Her last few months, she was up in Boston receiving treatment - and spent a good amount of time with me at the store. When I was growing up, she never was much of a drinker - as a matter of fact, I rarely saw my parents take a drink - so when they did, it was sort of a shock for me to see. That being said, once she was diagnosed she sort of indulged in drinking with us at dinner, and sampling with me at the store when my reps would come in.

There were a few wines that were her favorites, and she tended to like lightly oaked Chardonnay.

In the time since she passed, whenever odd things would happen - like wines jumping out of the racks, we would laugh and say it's my Mom visiting.

Yesterday and today, several times - Chardonnays just flew out of the racks. Today, one of them fell so hard that a bottle broke; trust me - wine bottles don't break as easily as you'd think.

The truth of the matter is - because of the way the racks are built, I'm sure some of the more oddly shaped bottles just get jostled and moved because of all the stocking I've done in the last 48 hours to ramp up for Easter. Some of them get pushed forward and then all it takes is a little shake from the back of the rack where another wine might be stocked, to get things moving and shaking and the next thing you know - bottles will fall.

But I'd like to think that isn't the case. I'd rather think that it's my Mother's way of letting me know that she's still here with me, and hanging around the store during my busy time - trying to be a part of it all, even if it's by making a mess with broken wine. I'd rather think that her energy is still with me, and that she's watching us all....taking it all in, and hopefully really enjoying the glass of wine that she probably has in her hand.

I hope that's how it really is anyway.

1 comment:

clew said...

I like that thought too. :)

My Dad is in the final stages and we expect he will be passing in the next few weeks. I secretly hope he finds a way to say hi to me now and then after he's gone too. :)