Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I've got sunshine, on a cloudy day.....

Okay, that’s not entirely true.

Even I, little “Miss Rose Colored Glasses” can’t muster up enough joy today to break through the doom and gloom spell that has apparently been cast over the North East for the past three weeks. Cold, damp, bleak….blah. I have got to think that we’re going to have a fabulous streak of summertime weather sometime in our not so distant future.

So, the feeling for today is: overwhelmed. Just a little bit. It’s interesting, to buy an existing business would be so much easier; building one is much less expensive however, there’s more details to be set up and there’s more cash out of pocket with no revenue when you’re building out. So ensuring that we stay within budget is an additional pressure that honestly, is probably is the biggest pressure in this kind of a situation. When you’re buying an existing business, there is no budget – there is no fronting of money, it’s literally turnkey and life is good. That’s not to say that scenario doesn’t present challenges, but there’s an immediate gratification that a start up just doesn’t have. The revenue will come no doubt – but it’s the planning that can be a little nervewracking.

Plus, there are so many other details to think about… you get the big ones right away, but it’s the smaller details that could fall through the cracks, and so I drive myself crazy trying to remember not to forget anything. Of course, I have lists – but still, there are the obvious things that we have in Boston that because they’re part of the wallpaper of running a business – could easily be overlooked. Of course, we won’t have that happen – but the overwhelming feeling of having forgotten something creeps up every now and then.

Which reminds me, I have to search for a wrapping station set up – something that up until yesterday, I didn’t think we’d need per se, but given the new register configuration – I am going to have a wrapping station! So to find the right paper holders and dispensers is now added to my list of “things to find”.

I don’t know about you, but I could use a little external rays from the sun today….

3 comments:

Mollie (aka Mimi) said...

Hi Rebecca,

I really have trouble symathizing with you and your weather doom. It is absolutely miserably HOT here with no sign of relief.

I'm in South Texas and the current temp is 97 with full sunshine, HOT AS HELL!!! The forecast for the next 2 days is high of 100. You can add about 5 degrees to that to get the Heat Index.

I would trade places with you in a heartbeat! Hang in there, it's gotta get better! That's what I keep telling myself, but I know I'm just lying.

Nichole M said...

I hear you about business start up. I am looking at that, albeit on a much smaller scale, in the next few months. Makes me think I should've gotten an MBA while I was at it. :-/

Rebecca said...

Nichole - What are you looking to do? Private Practice, no pun intended? LOL

Mollie - I'd take it!!!!!!! LOL