Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Ice, ice baby...

When I tell you it’s cold in here, I’m not kidding.
It’s freezing.

Let me paint you a picture. Think of the building I work in as a rectangle. You’ve got your left half, and your right half. I sit on the left hand side, if you look at it from the perspective of walking in the front door. The central hallway, is comfortable. You can tell the air conditioning is on, but it’s not blowing or terribly cold. The offices on the right of the hall – are warm. Pretty warm, actually. I’d even say borderline uncomfortable depending on whether the sun is beating in on the windows.

The left hand side of the office however – is an absolute arctic zone. Damp, cold and icy. The minute you want into my office from the hallway – there is an immediate reaction of everyone making some semblance of a comment or sound because the temperature change is that dramatic. So, I sit in my cube wrapped in my “Nana blanket” (lovingly named that because aren’t all Nana’s always cold??) with blue hands and a pinched neck because I’m incredibly hunched up.

So, one has to wonder why the building is so symmetric in it’s temperature divide? Well, it seems that those on the right hand side of the building were complaining about how cold it was, (and despite what I’m about to say next, it’s always very cold in here)and so the Building Manager was directed to close some of the vents on that side of the house. What did that do? It redirected all of the air to my side of the building. And I sit in the far corner of the building in the last office, which is traditionally cooler anyway – with a vent right over my head that is now apparently blowing a whole buildings worth of refrigeration onto one half of the whole.

Good times…good times.

Moderation is the key of life, and I think this goes in all areas – including room temperature. I have yet to figure out why a building can be universally set to a specific temperature (let’s just say, 72 degrees for this experiment) and yet the temperature will vary greatly from room to room. And I mean this on a day that is not skewed with vents closed off such as the case is today. Is this just in government buildings – or does it happen everywhere? I get that it can happen in homes with an outside wall, or different floors if it’s not zoned individually – but literally, next to each other?

Dressing for work, is definitely a challenge.
But I assure you, tomorrow I will come in and be dressed appropriately for a freezeout – and it will be desperately hot in here.
I don’t understand the difficulty in maintaining a temperate climate.
Can anyone clarify? Anyone….? Anyone….?
(Bueller… Bueller…..Bueller….)

5 comments:

Mollie (aka Mimi) said...

Rebecca, I know exactly what you mean. Our office is the same way. I'll have icicles hanging off my nose in my office because it's like 60 degrees, then go into someone's office down the hall and almost break a sweat.

Nichole M said...

I know what you need... a Snuggie!!

Rebecca said...

Hey Mollie -- whew. Good to know I'm not alone!

Nichole -- I TOTALLY need a Snuggie! LOL.

Suldog said...

I assume you've tried closing off the vent in your office, or the vent can't be closed?

How about requesting a space heater?

In my office, the outer office is controlled separately from our recording studios, and the three studios are the offices for myself and two other fellows. Those studios are all on one control. The studio that houses the control is home to my buddy, Dan, who is young, athletic, in great shape, bikes to work most days. As a result, he generally cranks the AC. I'm not horribly out of shape, but a constant 64 isn't my idea of a jolly good temp, either, so on some days when he's got the AC cranked, I have my space heater going concurrently :-)

Rebecca said...

Exactly. Vents can't be closed.
Oh - space heaters -- no allowed in this building. My old office we did it anyway -- can't do it here. It's not compliant because there aren't any wall outlets in my space, only cubicle outlets.

OMG, 64 degrees? Seriously, that's waaaay too cold. No matter what shape you're in! LOL. Dan needs carry ice packs or something!