Saturday, June 27, 2009

Be careful what you do, because a lie becomes the truth...

So, I'm still trying to reconcile the death of Michael Jackson.
It's surreal to think he's gone; partly because of the unexpectedness of it all - but also because it may have been a complete accident and lack of oversight on behalf of his doctors.

In some ways, it truly may be a blessing in disguise because in reality for all of the money and fame he encountered in his life, he was clearly an unhappy person. He was tragic in life, and unfortunately in death as well.

A misunderstood, exceptionally eccentric (out of necessity I sometimes think...) often maligned, incredibly talented, childlike innocent who was always philanthropic - always caring about the children of the world. Did he bring some of his troubles and scrutiny onto himself, absolutely. But in my heart of hearts, I never believed the allegations of which he was acquitted for. I always felt he was being extorted, and unfortunately he made himself a very easy mark. (My post title, rather sad - yet prophetic lyrics.)

My kids had really no concept of who Michael Jackson was prior to his death; my son knew of the song "Beat it", but seeing as I don't typically allow them to watch videos - and those videos of the 80's and 90's arent' typically shown anyway - they would have no way of knowing any of the spectacular videos or music that were such a part of our lives.

They've been watching the videos that have been playing for hours and my son says he can't help but want to dance listening to the music. And at this very moment, they're watching the video they've been waiting for because G and I have been hyping it up (and for good reason) "Thriller". (And yes, I'm very poorly dancing along with the moves that I still remember from it. Whenever I see it, I remember the days when my friends and I videotaped the video and we'd rewind it over and over and over again to memorize all the moves...)

He was an entertainer and musician who transcended all barriers: age, race, gender, religion. Children who never heard his music or saw his videos before love it upon hearing it; those of us who grew up with him loved it -- and our parents and grandparents did as well. He revolutionized the music industry, the way videos were created, the way dancers made their bodies move.

He was the change he wanted to see in the world -- in the best capacity that he could.
And I can only speak for myself, but he certainly made my life a little happier.

2 comments:

Patrick Soon said...

Thank you for your post. I was listening to these lyrics today (Billie Jean song) and searched the blogosphere for an article just like yours. You said what I've been thinking about for days.

Rebecca said...

Hi Patrick,
Thanks! It's been really odd trying to adjust to the concept that the one entertainer who has been a part of my life - my whole life - is gone. So very bizarre.

Be well!