Thursday, April 16, 2009

I know what I like...and I like what I know

Today at lunch, I visited one of my “happy places” – the cheese counter at Whole Foods.

I sampled a cheese I’d have never thought to try, because well – I don’t typically look for cheddar type cheeses. However, in an effort to expand upon my cheese knowledge for my future venture, I tried this: English Cotswald Double Gloucester with Chives. It’s basically pub cheese except in solid form – and let me tell you, it was fantastic. I know I tend to go on and on about how great these cheeses I try are, but I assure you – there are plenty that I don’t like, or don’t think are that outstanding. I’m sure I’ll share those someday as well. (Like Brie…ugh. No matter how hard I try to like it, I am not a Brie person. Every time I eat it, I end up sick. I’ve even once almost enjoyed it, served warm with caramel sauce and ginger snaps – but then I don’t know if I ate too much of it or what – but, let’s just say I won’t be eating Brie again anytime soon….). So, this Gloucester with Chives would make an unbelievable quick macaroni and cheese. Melt it into your pasta, garnish a bit – and I’d even go on a limb and maybe dice some cherry tomatoes with it – oh yeah baby. Last week, I tried a Double Gloucester Stilton blend – it is a Gloucester layered with Stilton and oh, my… it’s definitely a must try.

Fortunately, the antibiotics are really kicking in and I’m starting to get my sense of smell back, so my happy place visit was a good one. You have to be able to smell the cheeses in order to appreciate them; I love the ones that are surprises – they smell one way, and then taste another. Anyway – so I’m starting to feel better, pneumonia should be clearing if not already cleared and so I get to enjoy the lingering dry cough for however long that takes to go away.

I didn’t buy myself any of that Gloucester with Chives, but I think I may this weekend. Last night I made a really delicious Spring Vegetable Soup (super easy, and ridiculously fat free and low calorie, yet tastes great!) and I think that this cheese would pair wonderfully with it.

Actually, I think that’s exactly what I’m going to do….
If anyone wants the soup recipe – let me know, I’ll gladly share.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better! :) Would LOVE the recipe!

Suldog said...

After giving up dairy for Lent, one of the pleasures I am looking forward to resuming is (rather mundane, but I love it) cream cheese with chives.

Rebecca said...

Suldog, seriously -- you'd love this cheese. Not cream cheese, but it's sure amazing.

Suzanne, I will send it to you. :)

chesneygirl said...

Me Me Me! I would love the recipe!

you can send it to me in a message in Facebook! :)