Sunday, November 18, 2007

It's not a forehead...it's an 8 head!

Listen. A girl has to know her imperfections. I certainly know mine - and there are plenty of them. But I try to hide them -- this is the magic of being a girl. It's something we're taught to do almost as soon as we're taught to talk, walk, and brush our own teeth.

One of them that was brought to my attention at a very young age, is the fact that I have a high forehead. No matter how much I wanted to be like my little girlfriends when I was young, with their bangs off their forehead in pretty little barrettes -- or pulled back into a pretty headband -- I could not pull it off. Oh, and I tried. Despite my mother's continual urging of me pushing my bangs back on to my face when I would pull them back, I was convinced that she was wrong, wrong, wrong - and that I did not look silly with my hair off my forehead. So, one year -- it was third grade actually, I thought "I'll show her". I snuck two yellow barrettes that would match the dress she painstakingly chose for me to wear on my picture day in school. And then, when they passed out those little black plastic combs for us to comb our hair with, I parted my bangs down the middle and snapped those little barrettes, one on each side. I felt proud, even jubilant when I walked away after the flash went off. I wore my hair that way for the remainder of the day, of course removing them before getting home so as not to let onto my "surprise".

Well, the joke was on me. About a month later when we received our class photos, I was crushed to see just how horrific -- yes, horrific -- I looked. I was devastated, and of course knew my Mother would not be happy when she saw it. And yes, she had quite the laugh over the picture when I got home. But she hung that picture up -- and gave them out to the rest of the family as if it was a gorgeous portrait -- and that photo is still to this day, a running joke in my family.

So here's what I don't understand. When I see a girl who clearly needs bangs and doesn't use them.
Let's use Giada DeLaurentis for an example. Look at her:













She's flipping gorgeous. Phenomenal figure, beautiful smile... soon to be a Mom!
But really, the girl needs some bangs!!

Or how about Elizabeth Reaser, who plays "Rebecca / Ava" on Grey's Anatomy:










I'm sorry, I get embracing the forehead....but cover it up!!!

Ladies...don't walk...run to your stylist.

And for god's sake -- get yourself some bangs!!!

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love your new picture!

I have a high forehead,too, but no bangs for years. I think it's a regional thing. I went to my hairstylist (also Heather Locklear's at the time) some years back, and she told me it was time for the bangs to go--time for "grown-up" hair. Here in L.A., you rarely see women past 25 with bangs. A few (Reese Witherspoon a recent, gorgeous exception), but it's rare.

So here, if you have to choose between high forehead and bangs, the fashion choice is usually bare the forehead.

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

As someone with a six-head, I feel your pain.

Meanwhile, when did you move to Afghanistan? (see your profile!)

Susan said...

I think Ava needs a haircut.

Elizabeth said...

I always said I had a fivehead. I don't have bangs per se but I certainly don't push my hair back off my face....no way. The blinding light off my dome would hurt other people's eyes.

Rebecca said...

Hey Cheryl!
Thanks! It's just a recent one I threw up since the other one was from this summer. :) I don't love it, but hey - I don't really love any pic of me, truth be told. :) Sorry I haven't been by - my time on line is so few and far between, I do most of my postings via email. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and "your boy!" MUAH.

hahaha, Lloyd everytime I change my profile it changes me to Afghanistan for some reason. It's starting to make me think maybe there's something about me I'm not privvy to? hahaha.

Glitter - saw your email haven't opened it yet! Wed., I'll be out of pocket!!! Life has got to slow down..

SFG -- hahha, the blinding light. Ah yes, so you feel my pain as well. ;)

Anonymous said...

i have a bonafide fivehead. and yeah, sometimes i hate it, but you're all ridiculous thinking that people "need" to hide the natural proportions of their face with bangs. it's people like you that make large foreheads seem "abnormal," when actually they're quite normal. look at angelina jolie. let it be. jesus.

Rebecca said...

Hi Anonymous -- I have an 8 head and I WISH I could embrace it. Clearly, I just don't have the confidence, but if everyone else does - that's awesome.

It was just a fun little post -- I love, love, love Giada no matter what her hairline is.

AND... so funny, I don't think Angelina has a high forehead -- I never noticed it before! I thought she had a widows peak, which I'd have loved to have. But thanks for commenting - and I'm glad you embrace your high forehead, I wish I could do the same!

DREA0223 said...

Hi,
I have a child with a very high forehead. Obviously I think my son is perfect. What mom wouldn't think their one year old isn't perfect. Then I saw Elizabeth R. (Pictured in your blog) on the Good Wife for the first time. Yes... I know it's like on it's 4th season.. I'm just now loving the show. Anyway, I was blown away by how large her forehead is. Well not really the size but how she chooses to wear her hair! It's pretty unbelievable. Her forehead distracts me from the story line. To each their own, but wow she needs bangs!

Anonymous said...

Why do you care about her forehead? Really people. You should mind your own flaws and stop debating about others. -_-

Fivehead, sixhead I dunno how it continues next, but this is really stupid.

And if so better higher forehead than seeing eyebrows and hair almost mixing up together.