Friday, November 09, 2007

This is why there's nothing better than being a Mom...

When I come home every day, my daughter runs up to me, and wraps her arms around me and yells "Mommy, you're home!!!!!!!!!".

As if she hasn’t' seen me for 3 weeks. How great is that?

So yesterday before dinner, we were discussing Thanksgiving and what we were thankful for. My son - who can be so wise beyond his years sometimes - says, "I’m thankful for my health, my family, my pets, Santa Claus, and all my toys". My daughter says "I'm thankful for you because you're my best girlfriend in the whole world, and Daddy, and brother, and Connie (her stuffed cow) and that someday I might not be allergic to cheese". How hard did I laugh???? It was the best. Out of the mouth of babes.

Then, my son says he wants to write a letter to Santa. Which he did. And as he's writing it, he stops and says to me "Do you think I really need to write to him?" and so, surprised by his question I said "Why not? I think he likes to hear from you!". And he said "but, should I really be asking for something? Shouldn't I just get what I get?" Interesting point. So I said, "well, I think Santa likes to have a few ideas as to what you might want that's special, that’s all. You don't have to ask for anything though, you can just say hi." So, he finished his letter all by himself - and he even thought to mention something for his sister.

I've always been very good about donating toys, food and clothing to those in need. And I've always explained to the kids why we're doing it. But I think that my son is just really getting it now. A few months back, I said I was going to take him to the food kitchen to help feed those who didn't have homes, and he wasn't sure about it. But two days ago, when he came home with a slip from school asking for each kid to bring in one of their favorite food items to donate to our town Food Pantry - he couldn't wait to do it. As a matter of fact, he wouldn't stop with one -- he brought in a whole bag of things. I tried to keep it to a minimum and he said "Well, we can afford to buy more and they can't. Isn't it better to give than to receive?". Damn it, my 6 year old is smarter than I am. So I said to him - "Hey, remember I said I wanted to take you to the shelter or church so we can feed people who don't have a place to eat? Would you like to go and see how your food is used?" And he said "yes". And of course then my daughter was like "Can I go, can I go?" which of course doesn't mean she understands -- she just wants to go wherever her brother goes. But she'll get it one day too.

These are just some of the many reasons I have daily that make my job as Mom the most gratifying and rewarding times of my life.

I will be so very sad when these tender years are over.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Excellent! You've done a good job of raising them, that's for sure. Congratulations!

Cheryl said...

Being a mom really is just the best, isn't it? And you're the best kind of mom, too. :)