Friday, November 02, 2007

Is this health care reform?

Okay, so I get home yesterday and read the postcard that the state of MA sent out to all of her residents. While I don't have the message verbatim (because I ripped it up), I was a more than a little bothered by what it said.

Let me preface this first by saying, while I’m not a bleeding heart liberal by any stretch -- my thoughts and opinions are far more conservative generally -- I was absolutely shocked to see that the state plans on adminstering a fine to individuals in the amount of $219.00 per person, per household - who is uninsured. I'm sorry - but how does that make sense?



When you've got low income families who can barely afford to make the rent -- why would you penalize them for not being able to afford private health care? And trust me, I've been researching the health care options myself - as I've been wanting to open my own business and move away from my employment here at the base, so I'm well aware of the health care costs. And are they affordable? Yes. To me. But affordability is a relative term.

Some of the less expensive plans, while being affordable on a monthly basis - are so restrictive in what they cover, that they could actually deter people from obtaining medical assistance. So it's pay now -- or pay later. But either way, you have to pay. So, riddle me this Batman. If a family struggling to make ends meet, opts to go for the least amount of coverage that they can afford -- and God forbid something happens that requires a child or even a caregiver to require treatment that extends the boundaries of what they are covered for -- who picks that up? Or even worse -- are they denied service because they don't have "quality" health care?


Let's be honest. It's become a society of "treat and street" healthcare - with doctors often only treating patients as well as their health care will allow. So I just don't get the whole concept of penalizing those who are already carrying the financial burden of struggling to make ends meet. Especially since the state health care, which is phenomenal coverage - may turn away those who are truly in need because they don't meet that bottom line figure that means they're struggling quite enough.

I had very humble beginnings, and while I didn't realize it at the time -- I know now how hard my parents struggled to prevent us from going on assistance of any kind. You want people to strive, grow forward financially and get ahead. But if you impose ridiculous fines such as this one - you almost inspire people to be dishonest, and milk the systems from which they are trying to either get out of -- or avoid.

Maybe I'm missing something here…and if so, please feel free to enlighten me.
But for now - I'm just not getting it.

2 comments:

David Sullivan said...

I have terrific coverage, but my doctor's office treats me like shit. Quick in, quick out, change my appointment date or time at the whim of the doctor. Follow up is non-existant and forget personal one on one care. We are all fucked!

Suldog said...

I had the same first thought you did - how does fining people who can't afford insurance help them to afford insurance? Totally wack.