Monday, June 18, 2007

Dream a little dream of me....

I don’t know why, but for the past few months my dreams have been unbelievably vivid. You know the kind, that you wake up and you’d swear it was real. You can remember what the air smelled like, or what you might have been eating in the dream. You know the conversations that were held. Those dreams are the ones that tend to linger with you throughout the day. It’s funny because most of the time, dreams are like wisps of smoke....you can just barely remember them and if you try too hard – they’re gone, never to be remembered again. But sometimes, a dream is so “real” that you actually can keep it with you for a portion of the day. Sometimes, you may never forget it at all. It’s never the whole of the dream, but fragments just stay with you.

I wonder why this happens. Especially when I’ve had a run of dreams like this. Similar themes run through them, more often than not it involves the same people – which makes them seem less random than dreams typically are. There will be obscure things in the dream, but the general theme of it can usually be interpreted.

“The best thing about dreams is that fleeting moment, when you are between asleep and awake, when you don't know the difference between reality and fantasy, when for just that one moment you feel with your entire soul that the dream is reality, and it really happened.” Anonymous

Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you.” Marsha Norman

And Walt Disney once said “A dream is a wish your heart makes when you’re fast asleep...”.


Wouldn't you agree?

2 comments:

Tim said...

Dreams definitely can be weird. That's for sure.

And that Walt Disney quote is actually a line from a song in Cinderella... my daughter watched that movie Friday night.

David Sullivan said...

I left this post on my cousin Sul-dog's blog awhile back:

The most vivid, technicolor dreams that I have these days are the ones that involve me playing baseball at Fenway either as a member of the Sox or taking BP with my buddies. I believe my dreams are enhanced by the fact that I have been on the "auld sod" a number of times, usually after a game, in various states of inebriation. If you hang around the park long enough after a game the place literally empties out and you can roam around the place(if you've got the nads).
I am playing in an over-30 baseball league this year, which, I am quite sure, will further reinforce the fact that I will only make it onto the field at Fenway in my dreams (or drunk after a game, illegally).

Oh yeah, Joe Mooney was pretty quick for an old guy.